Why does Brave Sync keep reinstating my cancelled/ deleted bookmarks

When I edit/delete my bookmarks on my Win 10 desktop I find that instead of syncing this info across my Macbook and iPhone 11, it reinstates the deleted items over the following hours.
What am I not doing or missing please???

1 Like

I have the same issue. Open Brave on Windows 11. Delete all the multiple duplicates it imported either directly from IE or from html file. Close Brave. Reopen Brave - ALL the deleted bookmarks reappear. This is not my imagination. I have deleted them at least 4 times in the past 24 hours and upon re-opening Brave, they reappear.

2 Likes

To confirm, you do have Brave Sync enabled?

I’m going crazy trying to eliminate all my old bookmarks permanently. My sync is turned on. I have erased the bookmarks folder’s contents and all subfolders. I have done all this simultaneously on both my Windows 10 PC and my Windows 11 laptop. I have Googled questions in a variety of ways and have found nothing that works. I’ve tried many suggestions. Many work temporarily but then they all come back. Most answers are way too basic. Someone at MS or Brave or Chrome must know the full solution to help us start completely fresh by permanently eliminating all older relics of bookmarks. Right now it’s like Freddy Krueger from Nightmare on Elm Street. I think I’ve killed the old ones but they just keep coming back over and over and over again.

1 Like

@sandya,
Do you have Brave Sync enabled at this time?

Thanks for the helpful reply.

Yes, sync’s been continuously enabled.

With all the different methods I’ve tried which previously haven’t worked, this morning after booting up it seems to be working OK without displaying the 100+ undesired bookmarks so far. As you may have experienced too, when it does misbehave, not only does it display a large number of unwanted bookmarks, but the main presets I want to access such as email and calendar aren’t displayed where I can see them. They have been buried somewhere in the hundreds (seriously) of unwanted resurrected “dead” bookmarks.

Since it’s done this before, where the unwanted bookmarks have disappeared, in the future they may still reappear. I think that happens after I click on the Bookmark manager. It’s as if it then searches for bookmarks that have otherwise disappeared as if it’s finding them on the cloud from some other device I no longer own. And then whatever that mystery cloud location is, I can’t find wherever that is to permanently disable/delete that mystery source. As I said before I’ve tried to apply every workaround and fix I could Google.

@sandya,
If you go to Settings → Sync → Managed Synced devices do you only see your two Windows laptops listed here or are there additional devices? You can also go to brave://sync-internals, clic the Sync Node Browser tab, then Device info (click the drop down arrow next to where it says Device info) and it should list all devices connected to that chain. Do the devices displayed there match what is currently on your Sync chain?

WOW! That’s the kind of insight I haven’t found in infinite Googling, thanks. By both of your suggested methods it displays only my two devices,both are Windows, I intend both to be sync’d and it shows no other devices.

Having established that, with your insight, thanks again, I hope the present status of my bookmarks will remain without ever seeing the old Freddy Kreuger “dead” bookmarks again.

Thanks a million!

So the old bookmarks haven’t appeared again for a while?