Where Does Brave Store Passwords?

My idiot computer died this morning. I dug out another computer and tried to access my Yahoo email but I had forgotten what the current password is. The usual recovery for a lost password is to send a code to an alternate email but that account expired on me (mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble). Calling idiot Yahoo was a waste of time because their only option was to send a code to the dead account.

I had the current Yahoo password saved in Brave on the dead computer and I can access the drive from the old computer on this one but I don’t know where to look for the password.

Both computers run Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64bit. Can anyone tell me where Brave saves passwords?

Hello @LadyFitzgerald

go to

/home/yourusername/.config/BraveSoftware/brave-browser/Default

then look for file called Login Data

but the issue that this file is encrypted using your old username account
so i do not think that it will work

but give it a try

another way that i am not sure if it will work or not

copy your brave-browser folder from your old drive to any location you like then

that you start brave using flags --user-data-dir=the new location that you copied our folder too (use brave-browser folder)

so for example it could be something like that /home/username/Downloads/brave-browser

brave-browser-stable --user-data-dir=/home/unknown/Downloads/Brave-Browser/

the brave-browser-stable are in the /usr/bin folder

and see if it show up your old profile or not

if it did then see if you can go to brave://settings/passwords and export the password from there

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

You are correct; the file is encrypted. However, I was able to copy the file, rename the one in this computer to Login Data.disable, then pasted in the file from the other computer. That got me my passwords.

Thanks you!

2 Likes

awesome thank for the info that i just learned from you

and you very welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great work guys.
@LadyFitzgerald excellent detective work. Alternatively you could have cut/moved the Login Data folder on the new machine somewhere else and pasted in your old one but they both accomplished the same goal :tada:

1 Like