When does it sync?

When does the sync feature synchronize? I don’t see any button to tell it to start. I have added sync on my old laptop and new laptop and both browsers are on the Device List. But it’s been over a day and the new config hasn’t transferred. How do I get this feature to work?

Expected result:
The bookmarks, settings etc. should appear in the new browser.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.42.97 Chromium: 104.0.5112.102 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

Should happen within minutes of being on the same sync chain.

Can you double check your sync settings at brave://settings/braveSync/setup on both to make sure you marked those things to be shared?

Also, are both devices being left online and been updated to the most recent version of Brave?

1 Like

What ‘config’ are you looking for specifically?

Are other items (if any is enabled, such as Bookmarks for example, per the screenshot Saoiray added) syncing?

If you’re looking for ‘Settings’ to sync over to a new device, I can’t prove this but I believe there is some kind of ‘merging’ logic involved where a device will retain local configuration for certain things. There might be a document someplace, not sure – but keep this in mind.

For example, I’m pretty sure brave://flags things will not override those settings on a peer device.

One was on sync everything and one was on customize sync. I changed it to sync everything and got the extensions to transfer. But open tabs still aren’t there. I’m one of those people who keeps dozens of tabs open all the time. I have “continue where you left off” checked on both. I have stopped and started both browsers but the new machine still has its own idea of which tabs should be open.

So, I’ve found why I didn’t get any reply to the sync tabs issue. It’s because it’s been broken for years.

Thanks to a very helpful user who actually answered the question with a workaround. This user only ever posted once and probably registered an account just to post the solution.
Thanks again. Sync V2 Doesn't sync open tabs

“Hello, the tabs don’t open automatically. You need to open them manually. Go to History->Tabs from other devices->3dots->Open All”

This worked. I wish this had been documented, it would have saved me a lot of time and trouble.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.