Sync V2 Doesn't sync open tabs

Description of the issue:
Bookmarks and history are synchronised, but not open tabs.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Open a sync chain in Brave on macOS Catalina.
Add my (Android) mobile device to the sync chain by scanning the QR code.
Select History, Open Tabs and Bookmarks on both devices.

Reproduces how often:

I’ve had this sync chain setup for 2 days.

Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Desktop:
Version 1.12.112 Chromium: 84.0.4147.125 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Mobile:
Brave 1.12.113, Chromium 84.0.4147.125 (Android 10)

Type of devices currently running on the Sync chain in question:
Macbook Pro (macOS Catalina)
Samsung Note 10 (Android 10)

Additional Information:

I have closed the settings pages, restarted the browsers etc.
Both devices show in the sync chain.
Both devices show last active date as today.

1 Like

Known issue that I saw on Windows but could not get clarification during the beta. Open Tabs from other devices are not sync’d in the current version 2. As well Open Tabs aka those tabs you open manually on a device and enter a URL manually is limited to the 4 most recent tabs. That too is a known issue.

Both of these are suppose to fix in the future.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback.

̶I̶ ̶s̶i̶m̶p̶l̶y̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶t̶a̶b̶s̶ ̶s̶y̶n̶c̶’̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶p̶e̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶v̶i̶a̶ ̶t̶y̶p̶i̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶v̶i̶a̶ ̶c̶l̶i̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶v̶i̶a̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶o̶o̶k̶m̶a̶r̶k̶.̶ ̶F̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶e̶,̶ ̶t̶a̶b̶s̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶y̶n̶c̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶.̶

Strangely, typing this seems to have made this work to some extent :slight_smile: - I do now have some tabs from desktop sync’d to mobile under the recent tabs menu.

I bet you only see 4 tabs max ? That is a bug / known issue in sync v2 and has to be fixed along with the inability to see Tabs from Other Devices which is also not currently working.

I found interesting workaround. In Brave browser history you see only 4 open tabs max, but I have installed Smartup extensions for mouse gestures and there is also gesture to open tools like Synced Tabs and I can see all of them. Also on Android mobile you can see more than 4.

Hmm, it is not showing all opened tabs too.

1 Like

I’ve no solution as this irks me with Win10 to Droid Sync.

I just thought I’d share a well written (but lengthy) write up concerning Flags in Chrome.

https://technicalustad.com/chrome-flags/

Regards.

How far into the future? 6 months later and I have the same issue - Win 10 and Android not sharing tabs.

There are still things with Sync V2 w Brave that makes it frustrating. See this problem report ) regarding issues with Open Tabs. This supposedly was fixed but I am to this day seeing issues. There is also this report re history. Sync implementation in Brave has never worked properly and I have come not to rely on any portion of sync.

Brave supposedly syncs settings but only a select subset of the settings. Sigh.

Do the repositories shed any light as to why such specialized Sync functionality exists or must exist? I mean, I entertain they do so for the horde, I mean user privacy.

All I know is that from beta of Brave back in August 2020 when I looked at Sync v2 the Open Tabs aspect was anything but 2 thumbs up. My feeling is that Sync v2 was rushed out since v1 was a mess. At that time Brave was limited to 4 URLS and only those which you manually entered.

Currently, the Open Tabs is still unreliable so much so I have simply disabled Open Tabs on all my devices. I would see all the Open Tabs show up in History for a device and then the next time half of those Open Tabs disappear from the History list for that device. Even though the tabs that disappeared are still open on the other device.

I also found out that even though there is Settings option in Sync v2 the settings being synced are only a portion of the settings so that you still have to go through the settings on a new setup to ensure Brave is set up the way you want it to. It seems it’s a never-ending battle with Brave and bugs and Sync v2 is not the only thing I have screamed at Brave for over a year at.

I can’t get Open Tabs to sync either. I am using Brave for Mac 1.21.73.

See what is required for an Open Tab to sync https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/13293#issuecomment-788877691

Hello, the tabs don’t open automatically. You need to open them manually. Go to History->Tabs from other devices->3dots->Open All

1 Like