Videos lagging behind when in background

Videos/Streams lag behind after spending a few minutes in the background.

ISSUE 1#:

Description of the issue:
Streams/Videos lag after being put into background for longer than 30 seconds.
Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
1.Load up any video or stream and leave it to play.
2.Switch to a different tab or window.
3.Wait a couple of seconds/a minute or two.
4.Return to the tab with the video or stream playing.
Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Video freezes up at the point last viewed despite the audio being at a forward point, then resumes at the current point of the video after a second or longer depending on how long it’s been left in the background.
Expected result:
Video should resume normally, not falling out of sync with the audio and certainly not lagging the video in order to resume.
Reproduces how often:
Always
Brave Version(about:brave):
Version 0.59.34 Chromium: 72.0.3626.81 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
Yes
Additional Information:
Might be a hardware related issue, would still love a fix for it.

ISSUE #2:

Description of the issue:
Loading any high resolution video freezes entire pc for a split second until the video is fully loaded.
Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
1.Load any video that’s 1080p or above.
2.Switch to any background task while the video is still loading
Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Entire system is frozen for a second while the video fully loads.
Expected result:
Video should load normally without interruptions.
Reproduces how often:
When loading any videos above 720p, almost always.
Brave Version(about:brave):
Version 0.59.34 Chromium: 72.0.3626.81 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
Yes
Additional Information:
Possible cause might be Hardware-accelerated video decoding, after turning that option off in brave://flags all videos seem to load normally now. Issue also does not persist to other browsers like Firefox.

1 Like

Please repost (or edit your original post) to reflect the template and guidelines and we’d be more than happy to assist you.

I have tried almost every possible fix for the first issue, from updating flash to doing a clean installation on my OS. The issue still persists on every browser I try.
Would really love some help on the matter.

What operating system are you using?
You also mention that Hardware Acceleration was the cause of issue #2 - can you confirm whether or not it resolved it entirely? Additionally, which flag did you flip to turn Hardware Accl off? I ask because its a toggle-able setting in Brave already ( Settings --> Advanced --> System --> Hardware Acceleration) - no need to go into flags.

Also, did turning off Hardware Acceleration not resolve your first issue as well?

OS is Windows 10 Home edition.
I’m not in favor of turning off hardware acceleration as it is good to have on certain sites, so I went around trial and error’ing the flags. I found that turning Hardware-accelerated video decode off fixes the issue.
a9571e0c29b99180d671e7112e912f4f
I’ve tested Issue #2 by trying to load a video on 4K resolution, with the option on it takes about 5-15 seconds and it basically throttles my entire system until it’s loaded, with the option off - 1-2 seconds and my system works just fine.
Issue #1 doesn’t seem affected at all by hardware acceleration, I’ve tested with it on and off on several different browsers - barely any impact.

Just to confirm:
Issue #2 (System freezing when buffering/rendering hd video content) is resolved with Hardware Acceleration toggled off, correct?

Issue #1 (audio/video de-syncing while streaming content) is not resolved by toggling Hardware Acceleration - but you see this behavior in other browsers as well? Via:

Issue #1 is correct.
Issue #2 is resolved when Hardware-Accelerated Video Decoding is toggled off, but toggling Hardware Acceleration off all-together also resolves the issue.

Okay, got it. Just wanted to make sure both issues were covered by this. Appreciate your patience and the info provided.

If there’s anything else related tot his issue you need assistance feel free to let me know, otherwise I’ll go ahead and mark this topic solved and close it out.

Could I receive any solution to Issue #1?

Apologies but am I misunderstanding something?

I meant you are correct in saying that the issue is not resolved by toggling Hardware Acceleration and that it does occur in other browsers as well.
The issue is still very much present and needs resolving.

1 Like

Does this happen to you on any other video streaming sites or is it specific to YouTube?

It happens on sites like YouTube or Twitch, though it might be just because it’s the most noticeable on those sites.

Is the issue impossible to reproduce or is it a normal feature?

Im unable to reproduce this, nor have i heard of anyone having this issue before. If Hardware accl. didnt resolve the issue im not sure what is causing it.

If youre willing, can you try installing the Beta Build of Brave and see if it behaves the same? It will install without overwritting any of your current Brave installation data.

I tried the Beta Build, the issue reproduces on it as well.
I also tried reproducing the issue on another computer using chrome, the issue did occur each time I tried it, it seems more hardware dependent than anything.
Recorded a video of the issue if that helps. The issue occurs on 0:45, 1:15, 1:57 and 2:33.

Yeah this seems like a hardware issue as I’m unable to reproduce this. I appreciate you taking the video though.

I’m going to leave this topic open for a while in case any other users end up encountering the same issue or something similar to it.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.