Upgrading Brave failing No Internet

Error in Brave:
An error occurred while checking for updates: Unable to connect to the Internet. If you use a firewall, please whitelist BraveUpdate.exe. (error code 7: 0x80042133 – system level).

Learn more

Version 1.12.114 Chromium: 84.0.4147.135 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I have internet as I’m posting this from my current brave browser.
I have checked umbrella (opendns) protection to see if this is being blocked and it is not.
I have also check our software restriction policies to see if I’m getting any blocks with braveupdate.exe and there are no produced Windows events.

Google Chrome and Edge Chromium update just fine. I would like to know how figure out this issue.

I also get a similar error when I download the installer from brave.com and try to run it. I get “unable to connect to the internet. if you use a firewall, please whitelist BraveUpdate.exe.”

I have whitelisted inbound and outbound in the windows firewall C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Update\braveupdate.exe.

Windows 10 1909 x64

I believe I have figured this out. To me it looks like the brave updater is no longer using standard ports like 443 and my traffic was being blocked when connected to my company network as we have always only allowed 80 and 443 out. I disconnected and was able to use the brave exe I downloaded to perform the installation upgrade. Brave the browser was getting a proxy error trying to update itself so used the exe. I’m not 100% on this but it is an educated guess of what I know of our network.

Can you try downloading the standalone installer from our Github page and see if you’re able to install this way?

I’m guessing you are referring to this file: BraveBrowserStandaloneNightlySetup.exe

My only question is doesn’t this then put me on the nightly builds instead of the production release?

I’m so sorry – that is not the correct link. Thank you for pointing that out. The actual file can be found here:

Apologies for that – you’ll be looking for this file:

The install goes all the way through with out a failure my only issue is I installed the same version I already had installed so not a true for sure upgrade test. I will reply when I get a version different than my current.

** just installed 1.14.80 successfully

Using this method it is hard to tell what is the latest release and not from the github page. As the 1.14.80 release has a prerelease tag next to it.

Ok it may not be the VPN but maybe a dns protection service we use called Umbrella.

I believe I have fixed it by adding “updates.bravesoftware.com” to the global allow list in Umbrella.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.