Why is Brave giving the message " An error occurred while checking for updates: Unable to connect to the Internet.?

Description of the issue: Why is Brave giving the message " An error occurred while checking for updates: Unable to connect to the Internet. If you use a firewall, please whitelist BraveUpdate.exe. (error code 7: 0x800421F6 – system level).

Learn more " when trying to update.
How can this issue be reproduced? Try to update Brave

Expected result: For a successful Brave update.

Brave Version( check About Brave): The version, at the moment the effort to update and this post made, is Version 1.0.0 Chromium: 78.0.3904.97 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. Version 0.70.123 Chromium: 78.0.3904.97

I have the same issue too. Tried updating Brave and got the same error.
“Version 0.70.123 Chromium: 78.0.3904.97 (Official Build) (64-bit)”

Same.

DNS is correctly resolving for updates.bravesoftware.com which also responds to PING. That host maps to f2.shared.global.fastly.net (for me) and (as of this writing) Fastly is not reporting any outages.

Temporarily disable your AV. I had the same issue and tried whitelisting it in the firewall but only disabling windows defender fixed it.

Same problem here. I had to find the offline installer to get Brave onto my Win 10 machine because the usual method didn’t work. Then while trying to ensure I had the latest version, this error came up.

Version 1.0.0 Chromium: 78.0.3904.97 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Thursday, 2019/11/14 @ 01:14 PST

I am experiencing the same bug. “An error occurred while checking for updates: Unable to connect to the Internet. If you use a firewall, please whitelist BraveUpdate.exe. (error code 7: 0x800421F7 – system level).” My laptop is connected to the Internet.

Version 0.70.123 Chromium: 78.0.3904.97 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I am experiencing exactly the same issues when trying to update and use the installer. Please help!

Same issue, I think we have to wait :slight_smile:

Is there also a workaround for ref/creator links.

i am getting the same issue tried with standalone installer and I get An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x80070002 – system level).

The update does not run

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.