0x80042193 Error - Unable to update Brave

I am on Windows 10 Home. I have not changed any settings and I can use the browser (I am using it to post this.) Previous updates had no issues so this is a first.

Description of the issue: When I try to update Brave on the about screen it gives me the following error.
An error occurred while checking for updates: Unable to connect to the Internet. HTTP 403 Forbidden. Please check your proxy configuration. (error code 7: 0x80042193 – system level).

Learn more

Version 1.11.101 Chromium: 84.0.4147.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Go to about --> update starts and error occur

Expected result:
Update succeeds

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Additional Information:

try to restart you computer then disable antivirus and windows defender then open brave and check for update as usual
some people who faced that issue said it helped them

hope that help you also and have a nice day

Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried it and unfortunately no luck. Thanks though!

You can try:

• Quit Brave
  • Kill Brave processes via Task Manager if there’s Brave’s background process running
  • Restart your device (if needed)
  • Relaunch Brave then go to Menu > About Brave

This way, Brave will (re)start the update process.

do you use proxy or vpn?

Same problem here. Running Win 7 Pro 64 bit with free AVG AV. (which I turned off).

let me check something

hello @eljuno

if they download brave and run the installer without uninstall brave would it keep their data ?

do not do this step till i confirm with @eljuno that no data loose will happen

Yes. That’s the next steps I would suggest @justsomeone1 . Already saved as draft and will be suggested if OP confirm the previous steps is not working. :point_down::sweat_smile:

@Naota if it’s not working, can you try:

• Download the installer again from brave.com – or if you still have a copy on your device
  • Quit Brave, make sure there’s no Brave’s backgrounds processes running
  • Run the installer. No need to uninstall. Just run the installer.

It’ll try to fetch the latest version from server.

thanks @eljuno :laughing:

and have a nice day

Re-installing seemed to fix the problem. TY

glad it work :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you and @eljuno. Installing over the existing copy took care of it. If the error pops up again when the next update comes out, I will create a new post and will reference this one for research purposes.

In reality though I am more than happy to do these steps any time a patch comes out.

Thanks again.

1 Like

you welcome and if it happen again try also to restart your device and right click brave icon then choose run as administrator and see if that help also or not

and have a nice day