Update problems

The latest update caused a problem with the Brave.exe file. The update caused it, with no way to fix it. The “support community” is most unhelpful, and is a poor excuse for real support.

Hi @Pheideaux,

Thanks for writing in. What OS and Brave version are you running?

1 Like

Windows 7, version 0.68.142 (most recent version). I had to run “chkdsk” to weed out the problem, waiting to see if the fix works properly. I’ve been enjoying Brave very much, but this glitch has given me pause. An update shouldn’t need fixing.

@Pheideaux,
In order for us to help you with your issue, you’ll need to actually tell us what the issue is. So far, all I know is that Brave.exe “has a problem”.

Can you tell me what the problem is and what steps you’ve taken (if any) to resolve it?

Don’t be condescending. If you would review my previous reply, you will see I stated, “I had to run chkdsk”. The bug froze my computer, and brought me to the edge of the “blue screen of death” (not good!). All I was able to glean from the rapidly-disappearing alert notice was, it was corrupted files, at least one within “/appinfo”. Considering I have never before experienced overt file corruption caused by an update, any file corruption due to an update is not a good thing, and indicates problems stemming from the update itself. Perhaps more comprehensive testing prior to release would be in order?

@Pheideaux,
So you updated the browser and during/after the update there was a “glitch” froze your computer? I’m not doubting that this may be a Brave issue, but it would be very helpful to know how you know its a Brave issue and how you know the update specifically caused it? Have you removed Brave from your PC already?

You also mention

Can you clarify what you mean by “rapidly disappearing” in this context?

It was the only software update I’ve received in the past month or so. As it was the only software change within the timeframe of the occurrence, it’s pretty obvious. Again, don’t be condescending.

@Pheideaux

Mattches is not being condescending at all. It is you who should practice humbleness in a position of needs that is actually responded to by only a handful of volunteers. A lot of topics go unanswered. And what the man is saying is if the update causes issues in one situation so far, is it saying something a bit more about that situation or the software?

Mind your own business.

@Pheideaux,
There’s a new update to the browser today – did the same behavior occur today?

I haven’t received it yet. I’ll let you know when I get to try it.

Still no trace of an update.

@Pheideaux,
You can force an update by downloading and running the official installer again. It will detect that there’s already Brave installation on your machine and instead simply fetch and apply the update files.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.