Unable to delete URL suggestions

There seems to be a problem with deleting URL suggestions in Brave. I have already tried to delete URL suggestions using Clear browsing data -> Advanced. While this feature works great for other times, it never deletes old URL suggestions.

Just to be clear: I have also disabled “Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar”. I might be wrong, but it seems that all URL suggestions are based on existing bookmarks. Not sure on that one…

So, how can I completely turn this feature off? I basically don’t want the browser to suggest any URLs.

Using the latest version of Brave on Windows 10.

@jst68,
To delete a specific URL suggestion, you can type it in, wait for it to be suggested, use the arrow keys to highlight the desired result, then press shift + del to remove it. I believe you can also further control this by enabling the #Omnibox-suggestion-transparency-options flag (brave://flags).

That said, at this time there’s no way to stop this behavior entirely – although I believe we do plan to address this in future updates.

I am sorry, but the workaround is good for nothing.

I think this is a serious privacy concern. Until this has been resolved, we will have to take Brave off the list for corporate systems and any system available to the public.

I am really surprised that Brave is not taking this seriously. I mean you always advocate privacy and security and then you aren’t fixing such a serious issue even though you already know about it. Basically, this “feature” is currently capturing customer data without permission. That makes no sense to me and it raises a lot of other questions.

Do you have a Brave road map on when this will be fixed? Are there other similar issues? Do you have an issue list available to the public?

Very disappointed!

@jst68,
Note that while you may be suggested these options, the data that the suggestions are pulled from are not being sent anywhere the way in which Google and other browsers do. This includes Brave and its employees as well.

It seems to me that the data is not stored locally though. As such, it is a grave violation or privacy!

It is also upsetting that this doesn’t get much attention here. Maybe I need to raise this issue in more visible spot?

@jst68,
It looks like this issue has actually already been resolved. The fix is currently in Brave Nightly, and will propagate down the release pipeline in due time:

Not sure. It says “Show autocomplete in address bar”, but it doesn’t say “Do not track/store autocomplete”.

Basically, there should be an option to delete all stored autcomplete records and a second option to turn off collecting future records. At the moment, it basically keeps a complete “search history” somewhere (local or cloud?) without user consent. Hiding it from display, doesn’t resolve the problem and isn’t a solution.

From my point of view, Brave can’t be used in ANY corporate or public space before this gets fixed. As it is, corporate and public installation would risk getting sued for a lack privacy and the inability to delete personal data upon request.

In fact, I would even go one step further and say that home users should be concerned as well since there is no transparency where this information is stored.

Again, I would strongly recommend fixing this quickly before it becomes more visible.

@jst68,
The data is stored locally, but it’s not hidden. You can simply delete your history/browsing data to get rid of the auto-complete data. This information is not being sent anywhere outside of your browser.

Someone could see this data of yours, but only if someone were to have physical access to your machine – and if they have physical access to your machine, they can see your history and anything else they want already.