Description of the issue: Unable to add extensions to Brave from the chrome webstore
How can this issue be reproduced?
- Navigate to the chrome webstore
- Select any extension and click “Add to Brave”
- The blue “Add to Brave” button will display “Checking…” for a few seconds before displaying the attached error message:
Expected result: Extension should be added and visible in brave://extensions/
Brave Version: Version 1.58.131 Chromium: 117.0.5938.92 (Official Build) (32-bit)
I am running Windows 11.
When visiting brave://downloads/, the extensions seem to be blocked by a failed virus scan. However, the issue persists even after I disable Brave’s “Safe Browsing” option, Windows firewall, and Windows Security “Real Time Protection” options. I am unsure how downloads are still being blocked after all virus scanning tools seem to be turned off.
I have already combed through various other posts regarding this problem and have been unsuccessful in correcting the issue. This post details my exact issue; however, a definitive solution does not appear to have been reached. The poster claimed a VPN allowed downloads - that is not the case for me.
Note that I can successfully install extensions on Chrome - just not in Brave.
Note that I can add browser extensions only by enabling developer mode in brave://extensions/, selecting “Load Unpacked,” and loading an extension installed via Chrome. However, this action causes each extension to display errors.
Below is a list of things I have tried in an effort to rectify the issue:
- Restarted my computer
- Uninstalled and reinstalled Brave, and selected cleared browsing data option
- Cleared browsing data
- Attempted to import extensions from Chrome when prompted to do so when installing Brave
- Disabled “Safe Browsing” option in Brave settings
- Attempted to download with VPN enabled and disabled
- Disabled windows firewall
- Disabled “Real time protection” option under Windows Security
- Attempted to add Chrome extensions via Load Unpacked option in Developer Mode; however, the extensions are displaying errors.
Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.