Top site on New Tab home screen refuses to unpin or delete a site

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Top site on New Tab home screen refuses to unpin or delete a site
  2. See screen shots
  3. This just started happening lately, probably at last update

Expected result:
When the delete x is clicked, the site should go away, as it used to. When the pin is clicked, the site should be unpinned, as it used to.
Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.5.115 Chromium: 80.0.3987.149 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Additional Information:
High Sierra 10.13.6
I did a search and saw closed threads about this from last year, but nothing on the new issue.

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 6.32.54 PM

So nobody else is having this issue? I am new here, but at least expected a response from the Brave team like ‘added to issue list’ or ‘already on issue list’, not just crickets. Further information: I just updated to the latest version and this issue still exists.

Two updates since I originally posted this, and the issue is still present. Evidently it is not an issue for others, nor an actionable item for Brave devs, so I am going to try to uninstall Brave and then reinstall it.

Ok, tried one last thing. Unfortunately, it didn’t work and left me very confused on how it works. I decided to delete all data to the beginning of time. I closed all tabs, then kicked off the clear. Yes, it took a while, but finally finished. I exited Brave, then loaded it again. SOMEHOW the exact SAME Top Sites still existed, in the same order, with the same URLs. Obviously, Top Sites is not getting it’s information from the stored data, so where is it getting it from, and how do you reset the silly (you can’t say tsupid?) thing? I just got tired of messing with it, adjusted the bookmarks toolbar, and hid it. Now at least it works the way I expect it to, but it is worrisome to me that this data is hanging out somewhere that can’t be cleared.

Any update on this Brave? Please tell me where the data for TopSites is stored and how to remove it. It is really worrisome that clearing all data to the beginning of time does not reset the TopSites, and that TopSites remains broken.

The level of participation from Brave in these discussions is atrocious. While I like Brave and the idea behind it a lot, if this is an example of how Brave reacts to issues and interacts with their user base, then it may be time to figure out how to use another privacy browser.

KB

Just to let everyone know, the last update seems to have fixed this issue for me. I can now remove, pin and unpin top sites. Too bad nobody from Brave felt like they should say something about it. :frowning:

I STILL would like to know how I can delete all data in Brave, and still end up with the same top sites. This points to the data either being stored in a different file that is not cleared or even offsite, which is worrisome.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.