Cannot delete Top Site

I previously pinned a Top Site. The URL is no longer valid and I want it gone. I unpin and click the X to delete. When I open a new tab, it’s back and pinned!!! I even tried Unpin/delete and immediately close and reopen browser, but it still came back. I’ve tried about 10 times now. This does not appear to occur with non-pinned Top Sites.

Version 1.10.97 Chromium: 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Ok – so I went and deleted a different Top Site (even though I WANTED to keep it as a top site, but oh well…) and the one I was trying to get rid of also disappeared. I thought, YAY! But then I opened a new tab, and boo ---- ALL deleted sites are back.

I thought I’d try deleting the URL from history. Now there’s a pinned Top Site with NO thumbnail but still linked to the URL that I deleted. Still can’t remove it. sigh

Hi @jmo,
Can you update Brave, quit, reopen and then let me know if you’re still having this issue?

1 Like

Still can’t get rid of Top Site.

Brave is up to date
Version 1.11.97 Chromium: 84.0.4147.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)

@jmo, Can you try clearing your browsing history and seeing if that will also clear your top sites? i.e. clearing the history for a specific site you want to remove.

I had already tried that.

I thought I’d try deleting the URL from history. Now there’s a pinned Top Site with NO thumbnail but still linked to the URL that I deleted. Still can’t remove it. sigh

Anything else on this one? Is it reproducible and maybe a fix is forthcoming?

I did a history clear again (kept stored passwords and autofill data), still can’t delete a pinned site. I did have a non-pinned site and was able to delete that with no problem. Just can’t delete a pinned site. Perhaps you could just tell me where this information is stored so I can go in and delete something manually.
– Did some more searching to see if I could find a way to delete top sites. Found https://www.reddit.com/r/brave_browser/comments/hkm63y/top_sites_with_browsing_history_deleted/ which says “go to clear browsing history, select advanced, and then select top sites while deleting.” However, when I go to do that, the option is not available. That post is from July 3, which seems to mean that we previously had the ability and you’ve since not only removed the ability, but broken the whole thing.

And I did some more searching and found THIS support post. Very worrisome, indeed.

– Note that this post was closed without ever getting a response from Brave “support”!

Just updated to [Version 1.11.104 Chromium: 84.0.4147.105 (Official Build) (64-bit)]
and the problem still occurs.

Any progress on this?

Any progress on this?

Huh. I see that support are leaving posts on other issues. Why is my problem being ignored?

I responded to your previous issue but we can correspond here since you’ve left more information in this particular thread.

Can you tell me if you have any extensions installed in the browser at this time?

@jmo,
It looks like we have a patch for this coming in the update to v1.13x:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.