Suddenly getting "Ad blockers are not allowed on YouTube"

@SirAser @Usah so far I’ve not had any issues with YouTube. As to how they are tracking, that’s going to be the intriguing part. I’m assuming it’s primarily through people’s accounts. For example, are you logged into Google or YouTube?

If not that, would think it’s cookies.

If not that, it could be IP address but seems hard to believe. As you said, otherwise using VPN or proxy could possibly bypass issue.

Overall though, I think it’s just accounts. Not sure if you logging out matters? If you’ve tested on new profile? If changing browser matters? Eventually we all figure it out and get past it all

That gets iffy. Where they may be able to hide behind is their Terms of Service at https://www.youtube.com/t/terms

While it doesn’t mention ads or adblock, it does mention we are not allowed to:

1. circumvent, disable, fraudulently engage with, or otherwise interfere with any part of the Service (or attempt to do any of these things), including security-related features or features that (a) prevent or restrict the copying or other use of Content or (b) limit the use of the Service or Content;

Whether you want to say blocking ads are circumventing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with a part of the Service…it certainly is preventing them from adding their choice of content that we’re skipping.

But you would think they’d have something that would spell out ads and adblocking. I’m just guessing it’s one of those areas where things get muddy. It might be interesting to see what would happen if something went to court on it. I suppose it would go to the idea that we can’t be forced to view ads and they either would have to lock content behind premium services & accounts or just “deal with it.”