Side / Vertical Tabs

It does not happen. My 4 CPUs go 100%, a lot of tabs never get loaded. Same with 4chan/tg/ but I think it’s due to my aggressive privacy settings. Anyways, it’s a funny method to make Cinnamon desktop to crash.

Where the heck did they go!!?? I updated tonight and they do not work anymore :frowning:

Still there in the browser. If you look through the comments here:

Hey @Saoiray - I have had them enabled and have been loving them, but they disappeared after this update and I can not get them back. They are enabled, but not there. :frowning:

ANNNND I solved the mystery!

Turns out, what I had to do to get them back was right click on the tabs at the top and choose ‘Use Vertical Tabs’.

Whew, that was stressful! :slight_smile: Thank you for your work on this, it’s a necessity!

@EastonCo lol, I was just about to post about it. Not sure why they did the extra step there.

Untitled - Paint 11_7_2022 23_14_13

@Saoiray - I suppose it is probably to make it easy for people to switch back and forth if they choose to do so.

Hopefully they go ahead and make it so when you enable them, it automatically switches to them rather than making you make that extra step. Many people would probably just get frustrated and throw their monitor :laughing: .

At least we have it here now so the other’s who use this amazing feature can resolve their stroke with some quickness!!

Then again, I still don’t understand the usefulness of vertical tabs. They drive me absolutely insane with how much screen space they use.

vs

(yes, I know you can collapse it a bit, but still, takes away from content. )

As a user that, at work, I easily have 40-50 tabs open at times - And honestly, I am not much better with home use :laughing: - Vertical tabs makes it all possible.

I would lose my mind if I had to store through the cluster of tabs of the top… Or try and organize them… Oh heeeeccckkk no.

I am not sure on how difficult it would be, but the ability to adjust the size of the tabs would be great! Some people like big, gigantic tabs and some like little thin ones… like me because I have WAYYYYY too much open at the same time. That is what a 32 core processor and 128GB of RAM will do to you!! :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, I get that. I never used to desire them and actually hated them before I started my current job.

I have to switch between tons of tabs constantly, and having them at the top just makes that absolutely impossible.

Aside from that, having them on the side makes it so you can drag them around and group them.

For example, I may be working a work ticket… Which requires I have an account profile page pulled up, the ticket pulled up, and likely several internal tools and resources pulled up. Add a few tickets at the same time and good luck without some way to see many tabs at once and organize them! If you wanna add some extra fun, toss in some of the other tasks I have to do and yeah - easily 50 tabs open.

See, I am a bit of a tab hoarder :laughing:

This nonsense is not necessary, but it really is at work. If I could show you without including sensitive info I would lol.

lmao, I guess that’s my argument. I’d bet lots of tabs you hardly use and would be just as quick to access through Bookmarks than just having open tabs running. But then again, like you said, it’s all on what we do. Could be I’d end up with your job and then end up just like you! :rofl:

You tend to care a little less about open tabs when you have a computer that really could care less haha.

It definitely does change everything. Like I said, I HATED vertical tabs when I tried Vivaldi a while back and actually got rid of Vivaldi because of it.

Then, I started my job and it became something I could not live without. Trying to sort through 50 tabs that are 25 pixels wide at the top is miserable lol.

It’s definitely one of those things you hate, and then you need, and then you can not live without. We may need to consider a “vertical tabs rehab” for us addicts.

This is where all the suggestions that people have are coming from, it’s mainly to help organize their browser for insane multitasking. Life is so much better when you A) Have vertical tabs and B) can organize them into groups and C) save those groups to automatically open when you start the browser.

I am not complaining though. I love Brave and I am perfectly content with these vert tabs for now :laughing:

Oh, but I do (or think I do). I don’t think I’ve even come close to being able to tap into everything on this cpu. But looking at what you mentioned, I suppose mine doesn’t look like much, lol.

• Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i9-11900KF @ 3.50GHz 3.40 GHz (8 cores, 16 logical processors)
  • 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz; up to 128GB
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X
  • Windows 11 Pro
  • 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
  • 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

And of course, the vertical tabs being native to the browser is HUGE.

Working as a systems administrator for a large web hosting company, I can say with complete certainty, that browser plug-ins are one of the easiest and biggest vulnerabilities you can add to your computer.

An insane number of them hijack different things. A major and popular thing that gets hijacked is search engines. The plugins will modify the browser to change where search sites load from (By doing essentially the same as a hosts file mod, just actively intercepting the connection). So you download a plugin, and suddenly Google looks weird because they have changed your browser to load “google.com” from their custom google search engine that generates ad revenue. To the average user, they may not even notice, but I sure do!

I can sit down at someone’s computer, hop on the browser, turn around and say “you should really avoid plugins” :smiley:

1 Like

That’s not terrible, that is very similar to my last one. Hey, our graphics match up! :stuck_out_tongue:

This is my build:

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
128GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PC4-28800
ASUS RTX 3080 OC V2 12GB
ASUS TUF 570x Motherboard
6x1TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD
2x2TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2 NVMe SSD
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

And I can’t remember the other things atm, nobody cares about those anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

So I definitely am spoiled with power currently :smiley: Heck you can see in my screenshot above how many apps I have open, and how many tabs :smiley:

1 Like

Nice. One day I might learn to switch up, but I’ve been an Nvidia addict since I had my first computer like 20 years ago or so. I always scoff at AMD but from what I’m seeing, it’s far more competitive now.

You build your own? If not, trying to imagine the money that went into it. I know I ended up spending way more money on this than I should have.

Let’s see, pulled up receipt from when I bought it in March of 2021. $3,965.58 Then also got a Gaming Monitor (240Hz, 1ms) which was $319.99. Grand total of $4,585.71 after taxes. Then of course went and got Razr keyboard, mouse, etc.

I can’t even dream of spending that type of money again. That was big investment from combination of SSDI backpay and the Covid stimulus money that went out around the time.

Just sad because if I had the knowledge and capability, I could have built something much better myself.

Well, my Video Card is NVIDIA, sorry forgot that in the product name…

It’s an ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3080 OC V2 :slight_smile: But I do love my AMD Processors

Ah, okay. I thought they weren’t working!

Fwiw, I like that they widened the vertical tabs a bit. It looks nicer.