Several websites are suddenly inaccessible

Description of the issue:
All of a sudden sites that I was previously able to access are no longer accessible: GoDaddy (work email!!!), Webex (also for work!!!), Outlook Live (had to use a different browser to so I could “activate” my login for this forum!!!)

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

  1. Go to the sites and attempt to log in with your user account.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:
Um … not be prevented from logging into these sites?

Reproduces how often:
Every. Single. Time.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 10
[Version 1.9.76 Chromium: 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)]

Additional Information:
Never used to have this problem.
These sites are inaccessible even with “shields down”

That’s very weird. Not sure why that would be the case – we didn’t have an update today or anything either. Do you have any extensions installed at this time? If so, I would first check and see if disabling your extensions makes a difference. If not, I would recommend you try clearing your cache and browsing data.

I started noticing it a few days ago, but I hadn’t had the time to try to troubleshoot, I just had to use a different browser in order to work! Wasn’t til today that I tried turning shields off to access GoDaddy, which is when I discovered that doesn’t resolve the issue. Hadn’t logged into my Outlook Live account for a couple weeks until I needed it today to “activate” my login, so that’s how I discovered that problem.

PS: I did manually delete the related cookies when I was testing. I’ll try doing a full clear at the end of the day and see if that helps.

I cleared everything and was able to connect to sites I was having trouble with earlier.

Then I went back in and set the Shield to default to “Block All Cookies” and I got the same problem again. Even after setting the site-specific setting to “All Cookies Allowed”

as well as turning Shields completely OFF for the site.

Only after going into Brave Settings and changing the global default back to “Only block cross-site cookies” was I able to log into the sites

The site-level setting is having no effect, when it should be overriding the global default setting.

It absolutely should – but in this case I’m actually wondering if it’s an “ordering” issue. Can you try the following:

  1. Log out of godaddy
  2. Clear site data for godaddy (or all data if you want)
  3. Now set the cookie control in Global Shields to Block all cookies
  4. Return to godaddy, open the Shields panel and set the cookie control to All cookies allowed (or Block-cross site cookies only if you prefer, but I would test with Allow all... first).
  5. Now see if you’re able to authenticate into the site

Cleared all browsing data, including “Site and Shields Settings”
Set Global Shields to Block all cookies
Shield settings look like this:

Opened GoDaddy, set site Shields to All cookies allowed

Still could not log in. It just refreshes the page.

PS: I should’ve mentioned, I had gotten logged out of this forum when I cleared the cache; changed the Shield to All cookies allowed for this site (not globally) and was able to log in.

Thank you for testing.

So this seems to indicate that the issue is with Brave and godaddy specifically. Are there other sites you can confirm this same behavior occurs? If you don’t mind another short test, can you leave your settings as they are, open dev tools (Menu --> More tools --> Dev tools) and attempt to login to godaddy again. When it fails, open the [Console] tab in dev tools and take a screenshot of any output shown here and share it in this thread.

So far I have found that these additional sites are un-login-able with global Block All Cookies: (linked to Google (same as YouTube), so not surprising)

I tested with a handful of other sites, which I soon discovered had 1 or more additional pages while logging in on which I needed to allow cookies individually. Once I did that I was able to log into them. This includes Outlook Live and WebEx that I previously had issues with, as well as others such as Instagram, Wells Fargo, Xfinity.

With that in mind I did another test with GoDaddy. I enabled cookies globally so that I could log in, and on the email server page made sure the site specific cookies were allowed. I then set the global setting back to Block All and attempted to log in again, but still could not log in.

So you’re correct, it’s a problem with specific sites. I’m guessing that GoDaddy and Google have a hidden page that, had I access to it, I could enable site cookies and then log in without further issues.

If you’d still like a screenshot of the Dev Tools, let me know what specifically you need. There are several tabs and I’m not sure what you’re looking for.

Thanks for your help! Guess I just can’t use the global Block All Cookies settings all because of TWO websites. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like