Soon, i can’t go anywhere without being stopped for “security” reasons. All other browsers work fine on same sites. Braves refuses until I add the url to virus exceptions.
We’re talking about my banks, IMDB, Microsoft, Adobe etc.
As I wrote already, FireFox, Chrome, Vivaldi, etc. have no such problems.
Hello @Dni, thank you for reaching us out. What kind of device and OS do you use? Have you tried turning OFF/ON shields? Please make sure the option that says
Upgrade Connections to HTTPS found under
shields > advanced controls is enabled. Are you using extensions or a VPN? try opening a private window and let us know if the issue persists.
You may try adjusting your Fingerprint Protection settings on your shields. Aggressive protection can, apparently, cause issues with sites but standard protection seems to have fewer issues.
Sorry for late reply.
I’m on Win10 and these are my settings. Can’t see any advanced sub settings and the FP is set to “standard”
Still sitting with same problem. Would appreciate some assistance.
Can you show us a screenshot of the error page?
I was trying to recreate the problem, but all the sites I mentioned in the first post seem to work now. Tho I’m trying through VPN now (can’t shut it down today). I’ll try again tomorrow when my VPN can be shut-down.
Still getting the “https” error, but that’s not as bad.
Hello again @Dni, apologies for the delay! Is this still an issue for you?
It is, indeed. Getting worse sometimes. Sometimes it’s better, but always there.
I have pinpointed some problems and these are virus-protection related. But that’s only some. The majority is still unsolved.
NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID text clickable at all?
Is any antivirus or other security software (besides MS Defender) installed? If so, does anything change if you temporarily disable it?
Well, most times it is the anti-virus. The problem is this; no other browser reacts like this. No other browser gives me security error on same pages.
I would appreciate a response to the first question.
But in response to your other point: the browser is telling you it sees a bad certificate, because it sees a bad certificate.
And it is seeing a bad certificate because it is being given a bad certificate.
Most likely this bad certificate is coming from the AV.
If all the above is true, then the root cause is that the AV is treating Brave differently. This is not uncommon, but the AV is still the root cause in these cases.
Most of the time it is because the AV already whitelisted other major apps and browsers, but if you drop software on the machine that it knows nothing about, it will apply additional controls and inspection. Intercepting SSL traffic is the way this is typically done. And this results in a certificate being served from the AV instead of from the website.
Sounds plausible until:
Most of the time it is because the AV already whitelisted other major apps and browsers, but if you drop software on the machine that it knows nothing about
I’ve been on this system for over 3 years. Firefox is the latest addition on this machine. Chrome before that. I’ve had Brave for about 2 years.
Today, I had to switch browsers about 5 times. Quite annoying.
That’s why I said ‘Most of the time.’ If you don’t believe me you can go ahead and do some searching.
I have no idea if this applies to your personal situation because we don’t have answers to the most important questions yet. If you want to figure this out then you need to give us enough information.
If for some strange reason you don’t want to click on the text I asked you about, and tell us whether it reveals anything, then another option is to show us the certificate details. This is a pretty close approximation for how to do that.
You should also tell us what security software you are using, as was also mentioned earlier.
Help us help you, otherwise we’re going around in circles.
Brave: Version 1.49.120 Chromium: 111.0.5563.64 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Avast: 22.9.6034 (build 22.9.7554.762)
OS: Windows 10 (build 19044.2728)
Defender is turned off. Firewall is turned on.
I would have guessed Avast.
You still didn’t answer the other question – you haven’t shown us any details of the certificate that Brave is being presented. So we must continue to guess.
I’m assuming there’s a ‘suite’ of Avast products installed; if some component of Avast is behind this, I don’t know which of them it is. But I would suggest checking their forums for how to either disable the feature, or make sure this is not applied to Brave (whitelist the app), or add their Certificate Authority to your operating system. Any one of those should make the issue go away, provided that the ‘guess’ is correct, that this is being done by Avast.
Yep. It’s all Avast. Thnx for your help…
This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.