Certificate/https error while visititng sites

Description of the issue:
Certificate or https errors randomly for some sites. It started a week ago and does not seem to solve even after new update. The sites I visited are big sites like amazon, youtube etc. So they can’t have https redirection error due to bad certificate management. I am on Linux Mint OS. On mobile (android) I am not getting such type of errors. Ad-blocker and fingerprinting of brave shields on aggressive mode. Also, an extra list added- Easylist Cookie List - Filter Obtrusive Cookie Notices from adblock flag.

How can this issue be reproduced?

  1. Browse web normally with brave browser, the issue will present itself.
    2.) It happens when I input an url into url/address bar like eg. brave.com.
    3.) Search enigne brave search.

Expected result: Certificate/https error

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.32.113 Chromium: 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:



Uploading: Screenshot from 2021-11-27 15-23-48.png…

Are you still having this issue?

If so, do you have any extensions installed/enabled? Does it still happen with them all disabled?

Does the issue occur in a Private window?

What if you create a new profile and try it in that profile?

Are you using ‘Secure DNS’ settings in Brave? What if you turn it off (or on, if it’s already off)?

Is anything set in brave://flags ? (Anything with a non-default setting will be sorted to the top, and will have a blue dot next to it.)

Are you using a proxy?

How did you install Brave, did you use the OS package (which I believe is from the Snap store) or did you use the instructions at brave.com/linux?

1.) No, it seems to have solved itself automatically. (though not sure as it might happen again)

2.) I have few extensions, but they are pretty normal extensions which will not mess up with DNS queries.

3.) Yes, the issue was also seen in private mode.

4.) I created a new profile. It did not happen in it (though it seems to have stopped overall)

5.) Secure DNS was on. I had forgotten that I had turned it on. Though the issue seems to have stopped before I turned secure DNS off.

6.) I have not tweaked any settings in brave://flags.

7.) I am not using any proxies.

8.) Installed brave from terminal for debian/ubuntu/mint, as the commands were mentioned.

Possible answer:-

I forgot to mentioned that it used to happen for 1 out of 10 url’s and not for all url’s
I had recently changed my dns provider (by default it was ISP/google) at router/wifi level. Changed it to a reputed one with good privacy and security policy. I think using the new DNS provider and having Secure DNS on (by accident) might have caused the issue. But, the issue seems to have solved itself before turning off secure dns.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.