Search Widget Autocomplete Malfunctioning

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Description of the issue:
I have the Brave search widget on my Android home screen (I use Nova Launcher if is matters) and I have noticed, when I click on the search bar and Brave launches, my favourite (most used) links aren’t visible and autocomplete doesn’t work. However, if leave Brave (with the back or home button) and click on the widget a second time, everything functions correctly, and will continue to do so if I let Brave run in the background.

If I display my active apps and force close Brave, the next time I click on the search bar I won’t have those links or a functioning autocomplete.

I assume it has something to do with background permissions, but from what I can tell I have enabled everything. It’s just on that initial opening, it can’t seem to behave in the same way it would if the app is already open in the background.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Force close all apps
  2. Click on search widget
  3. Type and see if it autocompletes
  4. If it doesn’t, return to home screen without closing Brave
  5. Click on search widget again
  6. Check if autocomplete now functions

Expected result:
I would expect autocomplete to work immediately

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Brave 1.68.137, Chromium 127.0.6533.100

Mobile Device details
Samsung S22 Ultra SM-S908E
Android 14
One UI 6.1

Additional Information:
Nova Launcher

2 Likes

I have the same issue.

1 Like

Yes, I have the same issue (Android 14, same chromium/brave version, Samsung Galaxy s24).

1 Like

I also have the same issue, and @Mattches said he’s looking into it.
I reported about it here:

https://community.brave.com/t/problem-with-search-widget

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.