PERSON 1 - how to change

In the upper right hand corner, the little icon of a head simply says Person 1 when I hover over it. Can that be changed and if so, how please?
Just installed this browser an hour ago and so far impressed. Went to every website I wanted with no problems and seems as fast, if not faster than my Chrome or Opera browsers.

9 Likes

Sorry would get back to you

Indeed, you cannot edit a user profile, only remove it but when you re-launch the app the “Person 1” profile re-populates.

1 Like

Fwiw – I believe we’ll be doing away or at least refactoring how the “profile” system works. Apologies for the inconvenience in the interim.

2 Likes

Please keep the profile system – it is solves critical workflow on the web when I have personal and work accounts on the same site and sometimes want to be logged into both and switch back and forth. Without it, I don’t think I could keep Brave as my primary browser.

9 Likes

I also have this problem. Please change!

Same problem. It would also be good to have option to set password to person. So that all your bookmarks, history, etc. would be safe from others.

After digging around the local installation directory of Brave Browser in Mac, this is what I found:

FIRST:

1. Quit your Brave Browser or your changes won’t persist

TO CHANGE THE PROFILE NAME:

1. Replace your current profile name with your preferred one in the following files
    • /Users/__YOUR_MAC_USER_NAME__/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/Preferences
    • /Users/__YOUR_MAC_USER_NAME__/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Local State (remember to quit your Brave browser)
    • It’s a JSON file, and you need to look for somethng like this: name: "xxx", pretty intuitive

TO CHANGE THE PROFILE AVATAR

1. Look for something like this: "avatar_icon":"chrome://theme/IDR_PROFILE_AVATAR_xx" in the Local State file mentioned in previous section
  2. Replace that xx with the one you like here: https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/lkgr/chrome/browser/profiles/profile_avatar_icon_util.cc
3 Likes

Not being able to change the Person 1 , name and avatar is very annoying.

I just changed to Brave from Chrome, and I´m loving it. It just looks like a rough edge.

I hope you can work it soon. Thank you, great browser.

1 Like

First day using Brave, I really like what I see so far. I’m a heavy user of People for managing numerous profiles, I was stoked to see support for People profiles but that elation was quickly subdued once I realised I couldn’t change the names or avatars of the People profiles(?!). I’m hopeful that you can implement this standard Chromium feature, I wont be able to use Brave without it and will continue to use Chrome for the timebeing.

1 Like

Experiencing the same need to change the person name and the avatar. Otherwise, really liking Brave!

This is good @alankyshum. Also see this related thread, which has some additional help:

Also, if you create a new person with the profile manager with the name you want, you should be able to copy everything from the Person 1 profile folder into the new one without incident. If you have an active BAT wallet, be sure to use the backup/restore procedures outlined here:

@Mattches I upvote keeping the profile manager or equivalent with the tweaks users have been requesting. It can be very handy. I used Firefox’s often and had FF set to launch into the profile selection window every time.

3 Likes

Came here to find out how to change profile as well . . . I am more than just “Person 1”!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.