PC freezes and requires hard reset every time I open Brave browser

Starting this morning, my pc is freezing every time I try to open Brave. It opens a new Brave window (which stays blank) and then the computer freezes. Even the clock stops working. It doesnt correct itself, regardless of how long I wait. It requires a hard reset to fix. I have done nothing new- no new updates on Windows 10 or Brave. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Brave but that did not help. Any help would be appreciated! Please respond in kindergarton level langauge. Old boomer here! Thanks in advance.

Hello @Lib3rty_Lass, thank you for reaching us out. Can you please share a screenshot with the specific issue you are experiencing. Also, have you tried deleting your browser data recently?

Have you tried creating a new profile? In case the browser does not open at all. Open the task manager by pressing Crtl+Alt+Del and force to end the task, then reopen the browser and let us know if the issue persists after this. Regards.

Thank you for your reply. When I open Brave I can’t take a screenshot, as everything freezes and it won’t let me do anything. I can’t get in to delete my browser history or even sign in or create a new profile. As soon as I open Brave a window opens, and before Brave can even load on the page, everything freezes. I have tried waiting an hour, hoping it will resolve, but it doesn’t seem to. I have tried control+alt+delete and it ignores the request. This is so frustrating as I had about 50 tabs open!

@Lib3rty_Lass Hi and welcome to the community.

When you say you tried a “hard reset”, I took this to mean you rebooted your computer. Please clarify if this is inaccurate. After a reset, you may want to check the Task Manager to make sure there are no Brave processes still running (glitch). If there are, end them before trying the suggestions listed below. You should probably reboot your computer again just to make sure nothing lingers.

1. If Brave is in your taskbar, try right clicking the Brave icon and see if you can open a new private window.

2. If Brave opens in a new private window with no problems, and you recently installed any extensions, an extension may be causing the problem. Add the flag --disable-extensions to the end of the Target string in properties.

Instructions below are from the Brave Help Center article:
    How Do I Use Command Line Flags in Brave?

1. Quit Brave
    2. Right click on the Brave shortcut [the Brave shortcut icon on your desktop]
    3. Go to Properties
    4. And within the Target box add --incognito [--disable-extensions] to the end (after the ending quotation)
    5. Apply the changes
    6. Launch Brave using the shortcut icon
  3. Try disabling hardware acceleration using the flag --disable-gpu to the end of the Target string. Follow the same instructions as above to add.

4. You may want to install Brave Beta and/or Nightly to see if the problem occurs in those versions also. The results may indicate if this is a Brave problem or something else like system settings, anti-virus software, hardware cache glitches, etc. that may be interfering with launching Brave.

Please post an update of the results if you try any of the above suggestions. Hope this helps! Take care. :slightly_smiling_face:

This has been happening for the last 2 days (Jan26th 2023) on my 21H2 Edition Windows 10 Pro:
Version 21H2
OS build 19044.2486

Three times today after opening Brave, and going to a new tab (only2-3 tabs open) the whole system freezes. CTL ALT DEL does nothing, system completely frozen, requiring power off. Restart, and the same happens next time. This is getting annoying in the least. No hardware acceleration enabled.

If it does it again, then I’m dumping Brave as I can’t be doing with this.

I’m having this issue too everyday for the last week. 4 times today so far I have had to restart my PC because Brave Browser was completely frozen and couldn’t be shutdown from Task Manager. It is only Brave that freezes, everything else on the PC appears ok. Brave window cannot be moved or minimized or anything, completely frozen.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.