Once again Brave won't play videos

Can you please share some links to sites where you can confirm you see this behavior so I can test on my end?

Okay, here’s one: www.response5.com. Another is www.prageru.com. Oftentimes the videos on prageru won’t work right away, but if I come back in 10 minutes, suddenly all is well. That doesn’t happen on FF. On www.ted.com, the latest uploads don’t work, but older ones do.

On my end, these sites work fine on both Windows and macOS systems. Just so I am absolutely sure we’re on the same page: you’re saying that when Autoplay is blocked for a site, videos will not play. But if it’s allowed, videos play without issue?

On Windows 10 and all those sites rosa mentioned worked for me, no issues. Tried Odysee with autoplay and worked, as well.

3 bars, top right and then dropdown…towards bottom is “Report a broken site”, if that helps.

Yes, but some sites work occasionally, and some work not at all. On a different day, the results may be different, though the settings haven’t changed.

If I add a site manually to the exceptions, the site works all the time, so that’s my solution. It’s a little annoying, but at least there’s a way to get around it.

I had no issues with video playback on:

https://www.response5.com/site/hikerlifestyle

(under a clean profile for testing)

Also tested https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/up-to-160-vehicles-involved-in-pileup-crashes-on-i-696-after-sundays-snow

Video took a few seconds to load, but loaded here. I would test in a private window mode.

Here’s another that won’t play today. https://happyearner.com/the-woods-one-hour-email-masterclass55ww99/ (pw is under the video link)

Also, I have one site added to Brave that will now always play videos. However, when I first went to that site, it had a option to play or not play videos. I haven’t seen that on any other site. How do I add allowed sites?

Rosa, when I visited a site where the video wouldn’t play, there was an icon to the right side of the address bar with a red line through it. When I hovered over that, it said something about autoplay blocked. When I clicked on it, I was able to add that site to the exceptions so that videos on that site wouldn’t be blocked. I hope this helps.

The frustrating thing is that it’s not just blocking autoplay, it’s blocking them from playing even after manually clicking on play. I don’t really want to allow autoplay because of how startling it is sometimes when a video will start playing by itself and they have set the volume high. I’m glad I’m not the only one this is happening to, though.

@rosawoodsii The big question is what else you have going on with your computer? I don’t know if you’re running extensions that are causing problems or what? I just skimmed through again and I didn’t see you mention actually trying a new profile, the only mention of either came from @fanboynz .

The problem we have is when visiting all these sites you’re linking, they play with absolutely no issues. I just did a screen recording of me clicking on all links and pulling up random videos. Newest one, which does have sound this time, is https://youtu.be/ZHRnSt6-SbE

EDIT
Old link is https://youtu.be/pMIxaMetx2E

Reason why I replaced is this original link had sound turned off in the recording options but I also learned that the recording thing wouldn’t record when I did “Open in New Window” so the recording stayed on the prior screen even though I was seeing videos. That obviously wasn’t much help for you. So…I have the better one above now (^_^)

I found the icon and clicked on it, which gave me the option to drop the shields on that site. I was then able to get the semblance of playing–that is, it actually started the little circle that says the video is loading–but it wouldn’t play.

I agree about the frustration. That’s my issue as well.

Edited to add: I just went back to the last page that I thought I’d unblocked and found yet another icon that allows me to change my autoplay preferences. That site is now working. I’ll have to remember to check icons–or come back here for a refresher.

@Saoiray, I haven’t made a new profile. I just take my video links to FF and watch them there because I just don’t want the hassle of starting a whole new profile. If I get frustrated enough, I may do that after all.

So far as extensions are concerned, I have Bitwarden and LastPass (in process of moving everything to Bitwarden and LP is usually not even logged in).

@rosawoodsii When we say make a new profile, it’s not erasing your current. The purpose of it is for troubleshooting. New Profile would create one without your extensions and all. If it works with no issues, when we know to narrow it down a bit more until we identify the setting or extension you have that’s causing you problems.

It is interesting though that I can’t replicate your issue on three different devices. Android, Windows, and iOS (iPhone) all load and play perfectly. I haven’t adjusted settings much from Brave’s default either.

If you can try it out later, it might help. And yeah, when you’re talking settings…if you’re doing things just for particular sites, then that might also be something you need to work on. You’re aware you can change the default Shield settings for every site, rather than doing one at a time, right?

Doubt this is going to be any help, but some of my settings…

I went through and changed my options. Same behavior.
How do I make a new profile, and how do I switch between them?

@rosawoodsii

1. Open your settings from the hamburger menu and then click on new profile. This will be how do you create a new profile and once you do so it automatically opens in the new profile. The screenshot tool I’m using is closing the window when I try to show this part, but you should easily see it.

2. Once you hit New Profile, it will open this menu up where it wants you to name the new profile. I put Test for this one, but make sure you name it something so you know it’s not your primary.

3. Once created, you’ll notice a new icon toward the top right of your browser that you’ve never seen before. It will look like whichever Profile icon thing you chose when creating it. That’s what you’ll tap on in order to switch profiles or access the settings to delete one.

Look top right profile button

1. When you hit that Icon on the top right, this menu appears. It’s how you switch or you hit the little gear thing to open up the next menu to edit or delete profiles.

menu at profile button

1. When ready to delete your new profile used for testing, you’ll have clicked on the gear, then the three dots next to the profile and you’ll choose Delete.

NOTE
New profile just would be a way to troubleshoot/test to see if it’s your settings or extensions that’s causing a problem. If things work fine on it but you have problems on your profile, then it’s usually good to turn off all of your extensions and see if things work fine. If so, you’ll try turning them on one at a time to find the culprit. If that doesn’t do it, then go through settings. But if works in New Profile but not in your primary, then we know it’s an issue with one of the two in most likelihood.

Thank you for such clear instructions. Ill do this and see what happens over the next few days.

After looking through all my settings and finding nothing that is demonstrably different from the suggestions posted, my frustration level has finally reached the point where I’m ready to try a new profile. So, I opened Settings, and I see nothing that says “new profile” nor can I find a way to make a new profile. I’ve just updated to the latest version of Brave, so that’s not the issue. See the attachments for what shows on my screen.

I searched for “new profile” and the search results were nil. Then I went to Brave Help and searched for “new profile” and got 86 results, most of which were hitting on the word “new”. Looking for “profile” gave me 18 results, none of which were about setting up a new profile.

So I’m back, looking for more information on setting up a new profile.

That’s because it’s not in the Settings menu. Hit the hamburger menu thing on the top right of your screen, then click on Create a new profile

If you click on Settings instead, you’ve gone too far and need to go back