NOTICE: Unexplained Data Loss Issue

Hi folks,

I would highly recommend using Sync as this should eliminate this problem from happening. This is likely what a lot of Chrome users are doing - signing in with their Google account. Same w/ Edge users and signing in with their Microsoft account.

This problem does actively happen with Chrome too - and the exact steps are very important. We’ve proactively spent a lot of cycles debugging suspect areas of the code. It’s definitely not an easy problem to solve.

There are some things we can do - like log to a system log when the password used for encrypting/decrypting passwords changes. That might help us tie a date/time to an event the user did on the OS which we haven’t found a root cause for yet. For example, if we had that timestamp, we could check event viewer on Windows or syslogd on Linux and see what else happened around that time

1 Like

@clifton this is one of the big questions that need to be answered from others. But I know in some, such as at NOTICE: Unexplained Data Loss Issue - #99 by danelledawn, it was said that they have it synced and the passwords weren’t visible on any device. Same with NOTICE: Unexplained Data Loss Issue - #65 by baduser where they said checked sessions from Sync and passwords vanished everywhere.

Same was true for Update deletes my passwords and autofill data - Windows 11 using 1 profile only where they said data was being lost. Though I never did ask @hunsinge if the other devices had issues or if the missing password was just on Desktop and it was able to sync passwords back later?

@tezzab never did ask, did you have your did ask, did you have your browser on a Sync chain?

None of my other devices, including a laptop on windows 11 as well, have this issue. I do use sync and I’ve recently tried clearing my cache, deleting my profile, removing all extensions, and even uninstalling fully and reinstalling Brave and I still have the same issue.

I may be confusing myself on this so want to clarify. It’s synced but passwords go missing on the one device but not the others? And despite the sync chain, your passwords never appear again on the one device?

I don’t think I used a Synch chain as I was only using it on one device (laptop). I haven’t checked but I do have on old Mac that the laptop replaced which may still have the passwords saved but I am just going back to using Safari as this has really put me off Brave.

Thanks.
Brave version : 1.61.101.
MAC OS : Catalina
I have read through link you supplied. I do not have Histogram , I do not have crash report.
although for few days, the section of saved password what empty , but I was able to auto fill forms with username and pass , so never thought of it as an issue.
Today , I tried to login to a site , auto fill didn’t work , i tried on my own site … and didn’t work there as well. i tried on few other sites , nothing.
I can honestly say. I m F***ed …

1 Like

Correct. Passwords are only missing on the one device and they do not appear again on the device.

My Brave Browser got reset automatically!

It was all fine yesterday but when I booted my pc today , clicked Brave browser normally and poof…all my rewards , blocked trackers count , extensions gone.
Browsing history still intact but my extensions and rewards all gone. I had crypto wallets with funds in it all gone!
There were 2 profiles and both of them got reset. I’m starting to feel skeptical about Brave now. Time to switch to chrome and edge -_-

Bump. Same happened here - shut down normally at night with no pending updates, restarted the next morning, both personal and work profiles gone even though the files were still on the disk. Brave behaved like it was a first-time install. Clearing and restoring the files from backup from several periods did nothing.

I did get them back using this but I’m now very uncertain about continuing to use it.

Version 1.62.165, Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22621.2506

I am having the same issue as everyone as it seems. Brave is not able to decrypt the password file and logged me out of all sessions.
As i don’t think this issue will be fixed soon, I am hoping I can just somehow decrypt the password file (Login Data) to save them on an external password manager. Any ideas how to decrypt it? @Mattches

I face the same issue, all of my session and password are gone!
Lost all Profile & Session after windows shutdown, brave crash and auto update to version 1.63.169

Hi everyone, acknowledging that we have seen these new reports above.

I am escalating to the team to have them take a closer look and follow-up.

Apologies for the delay and thanks to those that surfaced this to my attention elsewhere. :saluting_face:

2 Likes

I too have the same issue with the Passwords and was asked to post here with my logs, so I am. I uploaded my logs when I originally reported my issue. I am no longer able to provide crash logs.
I had logs from Mar 16 at 1:10 PM and Mar 16 at 8:25 AM, but I actually think these logs are from like 4 days after the data for passwords was lost.
Overall, I had lost my wallet connection, I still am not able to connect for rewards, and all my passwords are gone…I originally thought it was like I had just installed Brave for the first time.

Lost all password data in Brave again this morning 4/15/2024. No issues at launch, but my autofill/password list is completely empty now. It was fine Friday when I logged off. This happens about once every six months. Just posting to let you know the issue is still not resolved.

1 Like

Happened again for me yesterday after upgrading from brave-browser-1.64.122 to brave-browser-1.65.114.
The saved passwords are still in the sqlite database, but Brave gives lots of the error:

[17098:17131:0427/115429.836996:ERROR:login_database.cc(998)] Password decryption failed, encryption_result is 2

When starting, so must be failing to get the master password.

Chromium and Firefox still work fine with saved passwords.

I’m on 1.65.126 Chromium: 124.0.6367.118 and it’s very annoying. My google accounts get randomly logged out and I’m also thrown out of my sync chain. There are some sites, like my personal file server, which do retain login cookies, but I’m mostly logged out of everything.

Ok, I’m done. I tried everything from other posts as well and nothing worked. I’m so fed up, had to switch back to firefox in the end.

hello i have 100+ profile on my brave browser, but today its suddenly all data is gone .

i try go to C:\Users\krisa\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data

and thankfully it seams the data still there , anybody know how to restore my data ?

did you found solution for this ?