Maximizing Brave browser causes it to maximize beyond the borders of the existing monitor's screen resolution by about the width of the scrollbar all around its four edges

Description of the issue:
Maximizing Brave browser causes it to maximize beyond the borders of the existing monitor’s screen resolution by about the width of the scrollbar all around its four edges.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Launch Brave in a non maximized window
  2. Maximize Brave through the right mouse click menu on title bar (or Alt-F7 if using xfce4-based ubuntu flavor)

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Brave maximizes, but is larger on all sides and extends beyond the size of the actual monitor screen resolution.
Any items that would normally be visible on the maximized screen are now cut off if using one monitor or spill over into the adjascent monitor(s) if using 2 or more monitors, e.g., the scrollbar appears on the adjascent monitor to the right if Brave is maximized on the left monitor.
The problem persists whether the monitor is in portrait or landscape orientation.
For example: if the screen resolution is 1920x1080p, Brave will maximize to something like 1928x1088p

Expected Result:
Brave should maximize and be contained entirely within the current monitor’s screen resolution.

Reproduces how often:
Always

Brave Version:
Brave stable release - Version 1.31.87 Chromium: 95.0.4638.54 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
not sure, but definitely on the latest stable release

Additional information:
I’m using Brave on a fresh installation of Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS [ubuntustudio 20.0.3 LTS with lightdm as window manager and xfce4 as desktop environment].
Linux kernel: Linux 5.4.0-89-lowlatency
Brave is running in classic mode, but running it in gtk mode does not resolve the issue.
I’m currently using 4 monitors.
The issue exists in the exact same manner with Google Chrome since Version 95.0.4638.54 (Official Build) (64-bit). The backend must be similar between both browsers.
The issue has been reported by others on other websites and exists for various Linux flavours and Microsoft Windows so it seems to be independent of OS.
The issue does not exits on 1.30.89 Chromium 94.0.4604.81 (Official Build) (64-bit) or Google Chrome with the same 94 version.

1 Like

Hello there @estrielogis sorry for the delayed response, and please accept my apologies for the issue you’ve been experiencing with Brave.

Can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue? You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

Additionally, try enabing/disabling Vulkan on your browser to see if the issue gets solved,

open brave://flags > search for Vulkan > Disable it.

Let me know if that works.
Regards.