Massive space consumption increase

Description of the issue:
Space consumption out of control since about last week. Size is over 1 GB now. Resetting cache only removed 100 MB, I have no clue what the remaining 900 MB are.

How can this issue be reproduced?
Regular use of Brave

Expected result:
Adds 100-200 MB of data per day. Resetting cache does not help.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.21 (20.11.10.16)

Mobile Device details
iOS 14.2

Additional Information:
Total size of Brave used to be 500 MB (app size 110 MB + user data 400 MB). For the past week/s it more than doubled to > 1 GB.

2 Likes

@steeven help! Brave takes the most space on my device by far! If there’s no fix anytime soon, I will have to delete it or I won’t be able to download any software and app updates anymore… 1 GB of user data and it isn’t cache.

1 Like

Same here. New to Brave and ios, but Brave now taking up 1.26 GB and increasing by about 200 MB daily. Clearing cache etc hardly makes a dent. Surely this isn’t normal??

2 Likes

@rep I posted on Brave’s Reddit page. Someone on the team replied - a bug that will be fixed in the next release. Apparently said bug doesn’t affect all users, but the guy said they know what it is.

1 Like

@dotatoc Thanks for letting me know!

1 Like

@dotatoc @rep,

Per day? That is not right.
If you go (on your iPad) to Settings --> General --> iPad storage --> Brave what space is displayed App size and Documents & Data on this page? For example, mine shows
App Size : 110.5MB
Docs & Data : 90.7MB

1 Like

@Mattches

2 Likes

@Mattches

Think we’re aware that it’s “not right”…

979 MB data yesterday. 766 the day before. As you can see, zero downloads.

1 Like

Turns out this is due to some Chromium code that came with the implementation of Sync v2 on iOS. We are already working on a fix for this and should have this resolved shortly:

4 Likes

@Mattches

Thank you.

2 Likes

I got the same issue. I deleted 4/5 app to continue to use my phone (out of space) and yesterday i saw the data consumed by Brave ^^.
Impossible (or i didn’t see it) to clean this cache.
Thank for the patch.

2 Likes

@Mattches

Time line for the fix please . “Shortly” is weak. This is getting ridiculous.

2 Likes

I reached more than 900 MO for my Brave app without be able to clean it.

1 Like

Uncleanable (is that a word? It is now).

My storage rate is slowing down now, but still out of control - see my last post.

2 Likes

@Mattches @steeven @Aa-ron I think this needs an emergency fix. I can’t use my device anymore. Storage is completely full now and all I could do would be to deinstall Brave but then all of my BAT would be gone…

2 Likes

@rep @dotatoc,
The fix is set for milestone v1.22.1 which should be out next week. I’ve reached out to see if there are any temporary solutions but I believe this fix was already uplifted (moved further up in release schedule) to v1.22.1

2 Likes

Slight update here – the iOS team has informed me that the fix will have to come as a hotfix after the v1.22 release. They have said that the hotfix update should release very quickly after the 1.22 (maybe a day or two). Sorry for the confusion and I will update this thread if I learn any new information

2 Likes

Update and diagnosis from Reddit.

Why do I have to go to Reddit to get this?

1 Like

You didn’t. The comment directly above yours explains that the issue is known and a fix is already being worked on.

Thank you @Mattches for the feedback.
I updated on the version 1.22 because i hoped the fix was available.

The space used is still growing. Waiting few days to have the fix.
Esperae