Lost password, extensions and missing history from Brave Sync!

** Description of the issue: Today i had to reformat my system. I took a picture of the sync code with my phone and proceed on re-installing windows.

After finishing, i installed brave, entered my sync code and things immediatelly started missing. Passwords did not sync, History is lacking with the most recent one being in early February 2024, and extensions are not being re-installed.

Only bookmarks seem to have gotten through.

I also have a sync set up to my phone and data with history there seems to be correct with my previous windows installation. Things seems synced on my phone, but what’s going on PC? **

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
I’m uncertain if i can reproduce this, so far i tried re-installing brave with data removed uppon uninstallation

1. Reformated my drive and re-installed windows on the same system.
  2. Installed Brave.
  3. Used the same sync key i generated last minute from my old system.
    Reproduces how often:
    Happened one time, now.
    Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu): 1.64.116)

Type of devices currently running on the Sync chain in question: Android Phone

Additional Information: Important to note that i have sync since the very beginning, (Sync V1)

@Veil I’m not sure how long you waited, but some things like passwords and history can take time.

I also would like to advise you to probably disable History for syncing because it has been breaking sync chains lately. Synced history used to be typed URL only, so it kept it small. A little while back, Chromium added full sync to it and Brave kept that idea. However, their limits on how many things can be saved has been an issue. It was recently expanded commits from 60k to 85k, but even after that I exceeded the limit and had to start a new sync chain.

Let’s face it, full history can get pretty big if you use devices regularly and aren’t regularly deleting browsing history.

One thing I will say is to check brave://sync-internals and see if it shows successful or if it’s showing any errors. Ideally, you’ll see something like below:

And all the things you want synced will be positive, with none backed off, such as below:

It’s been multiple hours and i do have a decent connection. I’m fairly sure that the issue does not track back to either my devices, or network connection. I’ve also tried with a VPN but no luck.

I tried re-formatting again and re-installing brave multiple times already in hope i get my passwords back but no luck.

In regards to the sync-internals page, there’s a constant 504 error, and the Type Info data doesn’t match with my phone that has already been on the same sync pool for a while.

I’m starting to lose hope as other devices im adding fetch the same data, bookmarks and an older version of browsing history.

I just want my passwords and autofill data back.

Yeah, you probably have to delete that sync chain and start a new one. Possibly make sure not to sync history. It’s dumb but kind of the state of things for now. I mean, I’m assuming at least one of your devices has the passwords and all you need, right?

I got a good portion of my passwords back by exporting the passwords from my phone. But newer passwords didn’t seem to be sync/stored on my phone.

Here’s a screenshot the Type Info data that has been on the same sync pool for a while

1 Like

Let me tag in @Alexey who is Sync dev and maybe he’ll have better answers for you later if you want to wait it out.

Also should have asked, what OS and versions of Brave are you using on all devices? If any outdated can be a problem as well

1 Like

he’ll have better answers for you later if you want to wait it out.

Yeah sure, i can wait. I also tried exporting the data in hope i can recover my data, but all sensitive info like passwords are encrypted/redacted

Yeah, you probably have to delete that sync chain and start a new one. Possibly make sure not to sync history.

I guess that just a workaround, but this seems like a severe issue that should be announced and warn users to back up everything before they end up like me.

I mean, I’m assuming at least one of your devices has the passwords and all you need, right?

I was lucky enough to use brave on my phone as well. Others however may not be that lucky as me, and could lose their passwords.

Also should have asked, what OS and versions of Brave are you using on all devices? If any outdated can be a problem as well

I’m on Windows 11, and the version of brave is 1.64.116. I never blocked brave from updating and always updated itself throughout the years ive been using it.

Worth mentioning again that the same lacking data it’s getting synced now across all devices that i’m adding to the sync now (An older version of history up to February 6th, Bookmarks and Browser Theme) , both on android and windows 10.

I can share my clientID and Username if needed, but preferably somewhere more private.

UPDATE

The next day (16 hours later) i fired up brave again and it started properly syncing.

History, Passwords, Extensions and others seems to be back in order at a quick glance, but the error re-appeared shortly after.

Whether or not this was resolved by a dev, im not sure but thanks.