Login and password display and retrieval problem - Linux desktop install

Regarding the following build on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Linux: Brave version 1.0.1 Chromium: 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)]

This current Brave install has been upgraded on top of each prior version back to the pre-chromium build.

Description of the issue:

Brave stores passwords AND successfully logs into websites. However, site/user/password data does not display under the settings>autofill>passwords. I’m wondering if there is a on/off key in chrome that triggers the display, or if there could be a cache or other legacy file that is blocking display of the site login into.

The reason this is an issue for me is that there is a particular password I’d like to retrieve. (Well, and also my password to the brave community …)

This problem has survived several Brave updates.

How can this issue be reproduced?

This is not actually reproducible – I have some identical installs where the passwords display fine. However, I don’t sync my passwords, so there are passwords saved in this particular install that I can’t retrieve.

Additionally, I can view the Login Data file in an sql browser, and all of the sites/usernames are visible. But (as you know) the passwords are stored in encrypted “blob” storage, so without decryption by the Brave Browser, I can’t view the passwords. (I think the decryption key is stored in Kwallet).

My thinking is that there must be a legacy file, cache file or something that is blocking display of the logins in Brave Settings, yet allowing Brave to save and access passwords. But, I can’t identify such a file.

I know this is a tempest in a teapot, as probably no one else has this particular problem … and I don’t even have the same problem on other computers. I would simply uninstall and start over, but there is one particular password I will have trouble resetting at the relevant website if I can’t retrieve it.

So, if anyone has a guess at what could be blocking display of the website logins in Settings>Additional Settings>Autofill>Passwords, I would appreciate the input. It seems to me also possible that there may be a key in the chrome settings somewhere, but I have no idea how to locate this.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.