Update deleted my saved passwords and logins

Linux mint updated my Brave today to Version 1.23.73 Chromium: 90.0.4430.85 (Official Build) (64-bit). No all my logins and passwords are gone. I never could sync Brave correctly with my android app. Can they be recovered? There has to be a better way to save passwords other than using sync? is there?

1 Like

@timowendc,
Thank you for reaching out.
So any credentials saved in the browser were cleared after updating to the latest, if I understand correctly.

Do you have more than one browser profile, by chance?
Additionally, regarding your Android phone – are the credentials on your Android device the same ones that you no longer see on your desktop machine?

1 Like

Something similar happened to me, my credentials were deleted after updating to the latest one. And yes, I have more than one browser profile, what to do in that case?

I have the exact same problem. Looking around in my Login Data file, the information is there, but not in the password manager. I only have one profile.

@Rafaelebl,
If you have more than one profile you should check and ensure you’re using the correct one. For all three of you, do you have any extensions installed at this time?

Yes, 2. An Image downloader and one linked to a shoping site.

@Victoroftheapes,
It seems unlikely to be the cause but can you try disabling them temporarily and re-launching the browser to see if this has any effect?

yes, google translator and another to take screenshots.

The rewards accumulated this month also disappeared and the uphold wallet was unlinked

all that happened after the last update

No discernable effect.

Thank you all for the information. I’m reaching out to the team for more information on this. In the meantime, can everyone here please share the distribution and version of Linux you’re using?

I apologize, I did not see that OP was using Linux. I’m on Windows 10.

1 Like

One thing to keep in mind on Linux is that the password store in Brave is encrypted using a secret stored in the system’s “key chain”. The browser auto-detects your desktop environment and then picks the most appropriate key chain to store the encryption key. If you’re running GNOME, that’s gnome-keyring; if you’re running KDE that’s kwallet.

You can however control the selection of the key chain using the --password-store option on the command line. For example:

brave-browser-stable --password-store=gnome

You might want to start the browser with different password stores to see if one of them contains your saved passwords.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.