Location services are wrong (again)!

Reminding the issue: Location Services are wrong

With version 1.25.68 Chromium: 91.0.4472.77 (Offizieller Build) (x86_64) the flag for “Core Location Backend” is gone from Brave flags and as a result the location-service won’t get the correct location.

Re-enable Core Location Backend in Brave flags. That solution worked pretty well.

1 Like

You can get the flag back (for now) by enabling old/expired flags. First go to brave://flags/#temporary-unexpire-flags-m90 and enable “Temporarily unexpire M90 flags.”. After relaunching, you should see the “Core Location Backend” flag visible again to enable. But either way, hopefully this is on the radar to be fixed in code.

2 Likes

@breakthestatic that’s the correct answer to my question, thank you. I didn’t know that there is an option to re-enable old flags.

As this is a temporary fix, we (the users) need a fix for this issue that works flawless. I can’t understand why Brave won’t use the core-location-service that most OS’ provide.

THANK YOU @thommes for not only finding these flags but reporting the fix back to the community. This was driving me nuts for so long, and finally today I found your posts. Thanks breakthestatic for the tip of the old flags.

For any others that find this like I did… @Mattches was offering help on this thread which unfortunately closed automatically. Location Services are wrong - #39 by Mattches

Per that post, there was mention of this known issue in Github https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/8451. It doesn’t directly address the problem at hand, but it might still be part of the solution.

2 Likes

Thank you all for reporting and informing us about this issue. I’m forwarding this information to the team now.

@dpsr thank you for taggin’ me! I’m glad it helped you.

With the latest release of Brave V1.26.67 (June 22, 2021) the location got more incorrect, again. @Mattches it’s a really long time now, that we have to handle the false-locating in Brave. Is the team working in this?

1 Like

Yep, just updated to version 1.26.67 Chromium: 91.0.4472.114 on Linux (Ubuntu),
and Browser reported location is still broken.

FIX THIS!

If I give permission to a site to query my location, I expect the browser to do so correctly!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.