Wrong location in linux (cont 2)

Continuing the discussion from Wrong location in linux:

Description of the issue:
Brave shows wrong location in Linux desktop.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open google.com/maps
  2. Click on the show current location button (blue one over zoom buttons)
  3. It shows a location far from mine

Expected result:
Show current location

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Versión 1.58.137 Chromium: 117.0.5938.153 (Build oficial) (64 bits)

Additional Information:

• Not on VPN
  • Allowed access to location for google.com
  • Already tried removing cookies and cache data, and it didn’t fix it
  • It works on Google Chrome and Firefox browsers and in Gnome Maps application, so not an ISP problem
  • The same occurs in a private window.

I’ve seen lots of posts about this, in one someone said clearing the cache solved for him, but it didn’t do a thing in my case, all of those seem to be dismissed. And I can comment on them.

This problem has been present since I started using brave, I’ve seen lots of similar posts, always the same suggestions from the staf and it never helps. It seems to be a bug in brave, otherwise please tell me what was I doing wrong, considering that I already tried all variants suggested, and all of that is in this description

Update: it happens the same in the snap version, without any customization, and the location detected is the same as the deb distributed version.

I still think there are good odds it is DNS related, it may be challenging to demonstrate but we can give it a shot.

If you go to https://dnsleaktest.com/ and run the ‘extended test’ in each browser, say Brave vs. Firefox, do you get different results?

In google chrome, where location roks ok:

In brave where it doesn’t:

In firefox, where location works:

En epiphany, where location also works:

Not sure what is a DNS leak, but the only browser where location does not work for me is brave.

Yup, got it, you explained that already. But the point here isn’t any ‘DNS leak’ itself, but to see if we can ferret out a difference in the way your DNS lookups are being performed. As I said, it’s going to be challenging unless you are able to review everything relevant directly on your end.

The way DNS-based geolocation normally works is an authoritative name server determines your location based on a client subnet as perceived by your DNS resolver, for example Google Public DNS. And it can then change the web servers you target based on that; this doesn’t necessarily translate into the web site serving you different content (i.e. a different map location in this case), but a different DNS resolver result would be an indirect means of showing that in Browser X you are seen as coming from a certain IP, whereas in Browser Y it’s a different IP.

Another thing we can look at is: https://whatismyipaddress.com/

You don’t have to tell us the exact IP result, but, is it the same across the browsers?

And, does it give the same geolocation problem as Google Maps?

Also providing a screenshot of brave://settings/security may help.

@alcarraz just wanted to butt in to kind of ask a few things.

1. Are you actually still on 1.47.186? If so, can you try updating and see if anything changes?

2. Does turning off Shields change anything?

3. Do you have Google or Google Maps under Not allowed to see your location at brave://settings/content/location?

Sorry I didn’t update the version,

1. I’m always in the latest available for Ubuntu, currently 1.58.137 and the problem persists.
  2. I already tried that (one of the first things) and didn’t fix it. In fact I have it disabled right now for maps.
  3. No, I don’t have it there, in fact it is in the list of the sites that have access.

The what’s my IP site shows the same IP in all browsers.

Hi @Saoiray, anything else you think it could help solve this problem?, judging for the other ones posting the same issue, it does not only happen in linux, but also in windows. None of the topics I found had a satisfying closure. All of them were closed by timeout.

Happy birthday by the way :birthday:

Thank you, @JimB1 What steps should I perform to check what brave is doing differently than all other software in my machine?

Update, I tried the snap version, without any customization, and resolves to the same location as the deb version.

Bump, so it doesn’t get closed

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.