Keyboard Shortcuts for ‘Paste and Go’ Function Not Working in Brave Browser

Description of the issue:
I have set keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl-Shift-L and Ctrl-Shift-V) for the “Paste and go to $1” function in Brave browser. However, when I press these shortcuts, the expected behavior does not occur. For Ctrl-Shift-L, nothing happens. For Ctrl-Shift-V, it only pastes the text but doesn’t navigate to it, as if I had pressed Ctrl-V. I have tried restarting the browser and computer, resetting the shortcuts, setting different shortcuts, and even trying it in a new profile, but the issue persists.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Open Brave and go to settings.
  2. Click “System” in the navigation sidebar, then click “Shortcuts”.
  3. Type “paste and go” in the search box on the page.
  4. Assign a keyboard shortcut to “Paste and go to $1” (e.g., Ctrl-Shift-V or Ctrl-Shift-L).
  5. Open a new tab and type a URL (e.g., “www.google.com”) in the address bar, select it all and cut it.
  6. Press the keyboard shortcut you added.

Actual Result:
Either nothing happens, or if it’s Ctrl-Shift-V, it acts as if you pressed Ctrl-V, it only pastes the text from your clipboard.

Expected Result:
The text should be pasted into the address bar and the browser should navigate to the pasted URL.

Reproduces how often:
Always

Brave Version:
Version 1.63.169 Chromium: 122.0.6261.111 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
Yes

Additional Information:
I’m using Windows 11. I have also tried assigning these two shortcuts to opening a new tab, which worked as expected, so there doesn’t seem to be a conflict or keyboard layout issue. I have also tried this in a new profile with the same result.

1 Like

Yup definitely doesn’t work. A strange thing I found trying this on Windows 10 is that Brave does not respect my keyboard language preferences. I have two keyboards layouts (Qwerty and Dvorak) and when I went to check the issue you found, the keys that were displayed were Qwerty, not Dvorak. The only actual key difference was the v, on Dvorak it is a v but on Qwerty it is .

Not sure why the Paste and go to $1 isn’t working.

Edit: I tried this on my Linux rig and it is broken there as well. In addition, Brave on Linux (Manjaro/Arch) also grabs the Qwerty key instead of the Dvorak key.

2 Likes