Issue with Audio Linking Across Multiple Tabs. Unable to Independently Mute Tabs

Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 6.45.14 PM

**Description of the issue:

I created an account because this issue is still NOT resolved despite multiple threads dating back at least three years. Clearly a recurring issue not given adequate attention.

I use only use Brave and only use a Macbook Pro, so please no questions about Windows, Chrome, or Firefox. This issue doesn’t occur with Youtube.

When I open multiple tabs from the same type of streaming page (see: three screenshots above), Brave links the sound for ALL of them and only lets me mute from whichever tab was opened first. Problem is, it may look like the same site, but there are different things playing in each tab. Example: multiple tennis matches.

At times, I need to mute certain tabs because of commercials, background music, or a loud noise during a break/changeover which interferes too much with other matches (and sometimes commentary) still in play.

Some streams are louder than others, so lowering or raising the volume within a tab isn’t always sufficient recourse. Sometimes, I simply need to mute certain tabs but keep other tabs in play.

Whenever the primary tab playing the sound for ALL of the similar tabs gets closed, it throws off all the other tabs. Meaning, the tennis streams will automatically pause / stop playing / freeze & start buffering.

If a tab refresh is insufficient, I have to close out ALL the streams, go into history, reopen them, & then select a new one to be the primary tab playing audio for all of the remaining tabs. It’s a nuisance.

Can we please just fix this? I’m very good about doing the regular Brave updates when prompted. Thanks.

**Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Open a Brave web browser using MacOS.
  2. Go to a streaming website and start playing audio (music, sports, movies, tv).
  3. Open multiple tabs from the same streaming website within the same window.
  4. Try to mute multiple / different tabs playing audio.

**Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

1. The first tab opened from a particular website becomes the primary holder of audio for all other tabs sharing that same website name.

2. All other tabs from the “same” website become linked to it. Brave does not recognize the website pages and their audio as discrete.

3. It is impossible to mute the other tabs. Only one tab can be mute at a time: the first one opened.

4. Muting the primary tab mutes all other tabs with the same website label.

5. Closing the primary tab can disrupt the streaming and audio of the other tabs. The videos can freeze, pause, stop playing entirely. Not ideal for a live sports stream.

6. The only way to correct the audio is to close all tabs or refresh and select a new one from the group to become the primary tab.

**Expected results:

1. Stop audio linking. Isolate each web tab as is own unique audio source regardless of shared website label.
  2. Reinstate and retain the ability to independently mute each audio tab.
  3. Avoid simultaneously and accidentally closing tabs in the same browser window as the Mute and Close Tab buttons can often overlap.

**Reproduces how often:

Every time multiple tabs with the same website label are open. See the three provided screenshots above. YouTube doesn’t have this issue, just various streaming sites for sports, movies, tv shows.

**Operating System and Brave Version:

Version 1.63.165 Chromium: 122.0.6261.94 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Also, closing the Brave browser, restarting the laptop, clearing cookies, cache, and/or history doesn’t fix the issue either, so we can move on from that default response.

Same issue on my end, at first i thought this was a youtube thing, but it affects any tab that plays audio. If you have more than 1 tab that plays audio (on pause) and you close the one that is currently playing audio, then all of them lose audio and the only way for them to work again, is to either close and reopen that tab, or completely refresh it. Super annoying.

1 Like

I hate this… started since 1.63.165 i think

1 Like

As stated previously in the thread you both commented in, this is a known issue that the team is working on presently.

Thank you.

1 Like

@NotAgain,
Can you actually share some additional URLs of the streaming sites you’re referencing where you see this issue occur?

1 Like

Thanks for opening a ticket! Literally any site other than Youtube.

1 Like

@NotAgain Appreciate you moving back over to this. Just didn’t want to keep having other topic getting notifications and annoyances when their topic has been marked as solved. I see you’re still having issues, which stinks.

I just want to confirm, have you indeed updated to 1.63.169 and it’s persisting?

Also don’t think you ever mentioned, which version of MacOS are you using?

@Saoiray

In Brave via MacOS, open at least two “VipRow” links, two “Voodc” links, & two “Web” links labeled as such. You will see what I mean about the audio / mute tab issue. It will link the two Voodc tabs together, link the two “Web” tabs as one, & link the two Viprow tabs together making it impossible to mute each tab separately.

No issue with YouTube or Amazon where I watch T2.

Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 10.30.45 PM

1 Like

I actually just tested this on my Windows 11 Pro and can replicate it, whereas never had been an issue for me on Twitch or YouTube as it had been for others. Sound only coming through one tab, doesn’t show as if second tab has sound. If I mute first, all get muted.

For links, I used https://www.viprow.nu/nba/espn-first-take-online-stream-1 and https://www.viprow.nu/atp-tour/tennis-channel-online-stream-1.

Tried on Nightly as well. I wonder if @fanboynz would be aware of any type of web compatibility issues that might cause this to occur. I mean, for it to seem to be happening with only certain sites or video players…

1 Like

Hi, Brave Team!

I did the most recent update on MacOS while tennis was on (Miami Masters). Each webpage now has its own audio icon & can be independently muted. Yay! Seems fixed for me (see screenshots below), but we’ll see about other people.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Screen Shot 2024-03-20 at 4.12.32 PM

AFTER UPDATE:
Screen Shot 2024-03-20 at 4.11.08 PM

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.