Youtube videos played in another tab are muted when a new tab is opened

Description of the issue: I use both my monitors for reddit and youtube, with one window on each, so when I open a youtube video and let it play while browsing reddit I can watch it like normal. The problem started today when I open a new tab on reddit such as middle clicking a link, it mutes the youtube video entirely until I refresh the youtube page. I’ve had issues before where opening a second youtube tab mutes the first one but that has been easier to manage. But now it’s a lot more frustrating. EDIT: Ok apparently it’s whenever a new page is loaded, if i completely change the page I’m already on in a different tab the same thing happens.

Steps to Reproduce: Open a youtube video and let it play, then open another website in a new window and middle click one of the links to open in a new tab. The original tab is now muted until it is refreshed.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:

Reproduces how often: Every time I’ve done it since getting up this morning.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu): Version 0.68.140 Chromium: 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information: Like i said before, I’ve also had issues opening other youtube which mute the original tab. Is there any way I can turn off the muting of tabs which auto-play videos? Maybe whitelist specific ones ie Youtube? Thanks

Welcome to the community and thanks for reporting!

I am not able to reproduce this issue. I can play youtube on window1 and another video on window2. Same with tabs.
I also checked reddit. I can watch the video and browse reddit without a problem.

Checked on

Brave 0.68.140 Chromium: 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Revision 58c425ba843df2918d9d4b409331972646c393dd-refs/branch-heads/3865@{#830}
OS Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (Build 7601.24519)

@iitaliics What OS do you use. Does the issue reproduce if you have only one monitor plugged?

Hi there, I had an issue close to that. In my case when I opened any video in another tab, it was muted.

I solved by going chrome://settings/content/sound and removing the site form mutes list.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.