I keep receiving cookie consent notifications. Brave browser doesn't remember that I've already made a selection

After introducing EasyList - Cookie List, I tested it for a few days. I wasn’t happy with EasyList - Cookie List and turned it off. I’ve been having issues with cookie consent banners ever since. I tried to fix it by reinstalling the Brave browser but it didn’t help.
When I visit any website, a cookie consent banner appears. I accept or reject cookies. Everything is fine for a few days. The problem is that when I visit the site again after a few days, the cookie consent banner appears again. The Brave browser does not remember that I have already made a choice regarding cookies.
This is very annoying. This happens with all websites. The problem does not occur in Chrome (my second browser).
Can you please advise?

Bigger question is to ask what your settings are like. Are you clearing cookies on exit or anything? Do you have Shields set to block all cookies? Obviously if any of that is happening, you’re going to encounter the issue you are.

Why weren’t you happy with it?

Thank you for your answer. I think my cookie settings are ok (print screen attached). I only have a problem with cookie consent notifications. No problem with gmail, reddit etc where I am logged in. I’ve also included the shield settings (print screen attached).

Ok, so makes it sound like you may not have it set to remove cookies on exit or anything. So I won’t push on that one. If it’s happening with just particular websites, then Fanboynz is usually able to check it out and adjust.

But if you’re saying it’s happening regularly across multiple, then it can make it sound like you have something interfering. I’m not sure if you have tried disabling extensions or testing in a new browser profile (that would run with default settings and no extensions)

I’ve tried “Reset Settings” and reinstalling Brave browser with no results.
This happens on all websites. I will give two examples. This is the only problem - I “Accept All” and in a few days I will visit these sites and the cookie consent notice will appear again.

Regarding extensions, I only use two: KeePassXC-Browser and Bitdefender TrafficLight (in Brave and Chrome). They do not cause any problems in the Chrome browser.
I’ve been using Brave for a few years and I’ve been happy, but for the last few months I’m not happy because of the cookie consent notification issue.

Brave isn’t Chrome though. It doesn’t matter if they have no issues there, as Brave’s code differs. So it can help to test that.

I just visited Wired and I don’t have it.

What’s interesting is even with Shields down, I’m not getting cookie notices on Wired. So that’s a bit intriguing to me.

In any case, I’ll tag @fanboynz to see if he might have any ideas what’s going on.

But I don’t use any filters:

There is one thing which I need to test. I’ve just learned that I have a lot of rules in “Create custom filters” I need to delete all of them and see what happens.

Enable Easylist Cookie List. And ensure shields “ads & trackers” is up.

Thank you for your response, but enabling Easylist Cookie List does not solve the problem because I don’t like the way Easylist Cookie List works. It should work like it used to. I manually accept cookie notifications, and until I manually clear cookies, Brave should remember my choice (for a specific website, for example wired.com) and not show cookie consent notifications (for wired.com) again after a few days. All websites are affected and it is very annoying. Chrome and Edge don’t have a problem with this at all.

Easylist cookie hasn’t changed, we can remove cookie messages in many different ways. It depends on the site. Each site has a different implentation of showing a cookie message. Some will rely on a custom div, others will use a third-party provider scripts.

We can’t manually accept cookie messages. For the sites that require the user to actually accept cookies to display content or login we’ll let the cookie message show. I prefer not to break a website even if it means a cookie messages needs to show.

I agree with you. This post is not about the Easylist Cookie List because I don’t mind manually accepting cookies on websites. This post is about the way Brave Browser works on my laptop. What happens is:
Day 1, I visit a website, I see cookie consent notification, I accept or reject cookies.
Day 2, I visit the website, the cookie consent notification doesn’t appear which means Brave Browser remembers that on day 1 I accepted cookies for the website.
Day 3, I visit the website, the cookie consent notification doesn’t appear which means Brave Browser remembers that on day 1 I accepted cookies for the website.
Day 4, I visit the website, the cookie consent notification doesn’t appear which means Brave Browser remembers that on day 1 I accepted cookies for the website.
Day 7, I visit the website, I see cookie consent notification again, and I have to accept or reject cookies for this website again.
Day 8, I visit the website, the cookie consent notification doesn’t appear which means Brave Browser remembers that on day 7 I accepted cookies for the website.
It happens for all websites. For websites which I visit every day I have to accept cookies 3-4 times in every month.
I try to figure out why Brave Browser doesn’t work properly as it used to work in the past.
In the past the cookie consent notification appeared only on Day 1, I accepted or rejected cookies and it was ok until the cookies were cleared manually for the website, which I did once in a while.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.