I cannot open the Brave on Macbook

Hi Brave Customer support team,

I installed Brave on my laptop but it doesn’t let me open the browser, please find attached screenshots below.

Could you please help?

Many thanks,
Ai

@aicienguyen ,

First, please edit/remove the image re System Overview, in your Original Post (“OP”) above. Your computer is using Mac OS 10.14.6 “Mojave” - acknowledged. Thanks.

Second, please go to System Preferences and make sure that your clock setting is close to being accurate. Mac OS is fussy about the date, especially.

Third, Exit/Quit everything.

Fourth, on a Mac, the BraveSoftware folder is located at (all three path examples lead to the same location):

~/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/

$HOME/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/

/Users/your_username/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/

Drag that BraveSoftware folder to the Trash (but do not empty the Trash).

Next, locate the Caches folder at: /Users/your_username/Library/Caches/

and move both

com.brave.Browser
BraveSoftware

. . . folders to the Trash (but do not empty the Trash).

Locate the Preferences folder at: /Users/your_username/Library/Preferences/

Therein, find the “com.brave.Browser.plist” file and drag it to the Trash (but do not empty the Trash).

Close all windows.

Restart your Mac.

The latest Brave Browser v1.37.166 installer for your Mac, is at:

https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/releases/tag/v1.37.116

Scroll down to the Installer that is appropriate for your Mac computer (Intel - x64). . . and at your discretion (what you believe your computer needs), select the .dmg or .pkg installation file.

You might try the .pkg file, first – given that (I am guessing) you have been trying the .dmg file.

Each entry, below, is linked to its GitHub source – you can Right-click on the entry, to verify the URL address:

(These installer files are within the Brave Software residence at GitHub.)

After installing Brave Browser v1.37.116, IF Brave Browser will not launch successfully, then return to where the BraveSoftware folder is located:

/Users/your_username/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/

. . . and drag that BraveSoftware folder to the Mac Desktop.

Try again, to start Brave Browser.

PS. You may need to make the Library folder visible:

/Users/your_username/Library/

See:

Footnote: Known Issue (ref.):

Brave Browser randomly crashing March 2022 - #3 by Chocoholic

2 Likes

@289wk I downloaded the file x64.dmg you gave and it worked! Many thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.