How to open, not download pdfs

How do I open a pdf from a link instead of downloading it?

Hello @jawjahpeach

go to brave://settings/content/pdfDocuments and make sure Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Brave is disabled

another thing that site can overright this option so it depend on both the brave setting and also the site you visit

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If I copy and past the link brave://settings/content/pdfDocuments it takes me out of settings and to a search page. I was finally able to find the setting and change it. Thank you.

glad to know that you figured it out and you welcome :slight_smile:

HI there, I am having the same issue - and I have disabled it, but it still makes me save every document before I can view the attachment. I honestly dont want to save every single document I get… some I just want to view. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Hello @melgrig1

could you visit this link http://www.orimi.com/pdf-test.pdf and tell me if it download or open

and you welcome and have a nice day :slight_smile:

It opened! I have an Outlook mail account as well as a Protonmail email account. Outlook mail opens the attachments, but attachments sent to my protonmail account are still downloading as a safe option only. Is there a reason why that happens? Thanks

you welcome @melgrig1 but the pdf setting depend on 2 things the brave setting as mentioned above and the site as some sites force the download option that why i sent you the link to test

i went to my protonmail account to check if there any option there to change the behavior but did not found anything but i am using a free account so try to check your setting if you have paid one in case if they has more option

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Thank you so much - I also only have the free version and have checked and cannot find any settings to change it either. It must be their settings them… bugger… thank you anyway… :slight_smile:
Have a great evening.

you very welcome and thanks a lot

there another thing but it will download the file then open it automatically after download finish

when the file download there will be arrow next to it in the buttom of the page (the download bar) click on it then choose always open files of this type

and set brave to be your default viewer of pdf from your platform setting

i know it still download the file

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.