High CPU Usage while using

Brave almost always has high CPU usage (over 100%) when a video on Youtube is open. It’s even more likely to happen when the video is fullscreen. I’ve seen previous posts about a similar problem with the browser in general having high CPU usage because of BAT Ledger Service, but the in-browser task manager shows it’s the tab with Youtube open causing the issue.

I’m probably going to have to switch browsers if it continues much longer because it’s abusing my battery.

How can this issue be reproduced?

  1. Open a video on Youtube

Expected result:
Moderate CPU usage

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.13.82 Chromium: 85.0.4183.83 (Official Build) (64-bit)


2 weeks with no response. Also still no way to withdraw BAT in New York after all this time. Disappointed with Brave, but luckily it’s easy to switch to a different browser. Chrome with uBlock has worked perfectly the past 2 weeks with no performance issues.

1 Like

Hi, im having the same issue. CPU usage is almost 100% with 1 or 20 tabs.
My setup is Core i7 7700HQ, 16gb ram, gtx 1060, Kubuntu 20.04.
I have no extensions enabled.
I’ve checked the Bat ledger service and enabled the brave-adblock-cosmetic-filtering, and the issue is still there.
Something I can do to help fix this?

1 Like

same here. I observed this behavior too. well not all the time though in my case.

1 Like

i confirm the same, up to 60% cpu usage all the time. latest version of brave.

I’m seeing high utilization on multiple inactive tabs, sometimes up to 100%. Soundcloud and gmail are examples. It drags my beefy macbook down to a crawl. I see this on both Mac and Linux, which indicates something seriously wrong with Brave’s fork. This started happening in the last month or so, and is bad enough to have me switch to Chromium on my linux box. I may do the same on my macbook if things don’t get better.

I’m seeing the same thing here, no extensions installed and no hardware acceleration but some youtube videos, depending on the complexity of the video, are seeing cpu usage between 150 and 250% cpu usage!!! My laptop’s nearly on fire! This needs sorting asap!!

I found one solution relating to Youtube specific high CPU usage. Youtube uses a different encoding for 60fps videos that causes the issue. Usually YouTube videos can be hardware accelerated with the GPU but they can’t with the new encoding, so it falls onto the CPU to process the video.

You can download this plugin to force the old encoding that can be hardware accelerated.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.