Brave Causing High CPU Usage - Mac

Hello.

I’m experiencing very high CPU usage with Brave, heating up my mac and making it unstable. Always on start-up, but also during prolonged usage. I can’t use it. May have to switch back to Safari, the problems don’t replicate with it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Will

1. Brave causing very high CPU usage.
  2. Whenever I use it, but it sometimes stabilises after a while.
  3. Normal CPU usage.

** Version 1.12.114 Chromium: 84.0.4147.135 (Official Build) (64-bit)**
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch Mid 2014) 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel i7 with 16GB, 1600 MHz, DDR3
macOS Catalina - Version 10.15.6

Screenshot 2020-08-27 at 09.14.34

1 Like

Hello @MrMonoboy

could you try to disable hardware acceleration and disable all extension

Apologies, I didn’t check the forum for previous posts. It’s a known issue.

It seems that the Grammarly app plugin, and website like Pinterest and Reddit spike the Brave Windows Helper into overdrive. A fix is supposedly on the way.

You can check the Brave Task Manager for ref.

Screenshot 2020-08-27 at 09.42.45

1 Like

glad to know that you figured it out and have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve got a similar issue, and the task manager shows the only items running up RAM & CPU usage:
GPU Process at 5.2 GBs & 42% CPU
Browser at 1.8 GBs @ 22% CPU

So that means the browser alone & the GPU process are eating up 7GBs of RAM, without any pages open using video or anything much. Why is this so very, very high? By the way, I do have Hardware Acceleration turned off, as well. Is 7 Gigs supposed to be the base level of Brave? I thought Brave is supposed to use LESS RAM than most other browsers. What am I missing here?

1 Like

Hello @StevenCee

check this one

they working on something to figure out what the cause

hope it help and have a nice day

@StevenCee,
Please open your own thread with what you wrote + any additional required information so that we can best assist you. I’m going to close this thread now given that OP has resolved the issue.