Deleted bookmarks, refuse to be default browser, persistent error messages

Description of the issue:
After the update bookmarks disappears,
A message with “you are using an unsupported command-line flag: --no-sandbox. Stability and security will suffer”
Another message with “Brave is not your default browser” that persist despite “Set as default” button pressed.
Strange Brave and other site icons rendering on the start page

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Upgrade on Ubuntu 16.04
Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:

Reproduces how often:
On each use
Brave Version(about:brave):
brave Version 0.56.12 Chromium: 70.0.3538.77 (Official Build) unknown (64-bit)
Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):

Additional Information:
I use it since 2016

@alex3,
I see that you’re using v0.56.12.
The most up to date stable release is currently at v0.57.18.
Can you update and see if the issues still persist?

Also, see the solution in this thread for the --no-sandbox flag:

I discovered similar on my home machine over the weekend and this morning on my work machine. Brave auto-updated to v0.56.12 and all configuration appears to have been reset. History, passwords, plugins–all gone.

Worse, against my better judgement, I installed using this Snaps mess instead of waiting for a proper Debian/Ubuntu package. I guess this is what I should have known was coming, without any packaging or upgrade process standards to rely on, just some bizarre container/overlay system that is completely opaque to me. I’ve used Debian and derivatives for more than 20 years, but have no idea how to downgrade Brave or where to expect to find my run-time config.

You’re in luck! We have an article that goes over all of this:
https://community.brave.com/t/for-users-who-had-issues-migrating-data-from-brave-muon-to-brave-core/39669/4

Following that article, I see that in order to “import data from a previous Brave profile” I need to use “the dropdown menu of detected browsers,” so I go back up to the previous section, “How do I import from another browser?” in order to find out about said drop-down menu.

Steps there are:

1. Launch Brave and open the Main menu: newmenuicon.png
Done.

2. Select Bookmarks > Import Bookmarks and Settings
Done.

3. Select from the list of detected browsers you want to Import from
There is no such list. I get a dialogue box, titled “import bookmarks and settings,” with an unlabeled drop-down that contains only one option: “Bookmarks HTML File,” under which is a heading “Select items to import:” with a single check-box labeled “Favorites/Bookmarks.”

At this point, I wonder what I should do, as the instructions very specifically direct me to “ensure that the Bookmarks option is NOT checked.” This seems to be the only option, and I see no browsers detected, Brave or otherwise.

4. Check the desired settings to import and click Import

I’m still on step #3, but the only option I have is to cancel or to “Choose File.”

@pmocek,
If you have other browsers on your machine, they should be automatically detected by Brave’s importer. It may be because you installed the way you did.
The install instructions laid out on this page are accurate. Just now, I was able to start a fresh Ubuntu machine, download/install both Brave Muon and Brave Core, and use the importer to grab browsing data.

:point_up: Drop-down should look something like this when expanded, depending on what browsers you have installed.

:point_up: This (unchecking bookmarks) was only for users who encountered an issue when attempting to import data. Importer should grab browsing data for most users without issue.

Do you have other browsers installed on your machine?

I have at least two other browsers installed, but the drop-down did not look like that.

As I wrote above, I installed Brave using Snaps as directed on your website. [EDIT: As previously-directed on some combination of your website or the git repository README.]

I since reverted Brave to previous version with Snap, restarted to see the old version, then added Brave package repositories, installed brave-browser and brave-keyring, started the newly-installed Brave, and see the drop-down described.

It appears that I was able to restore most settings, but not saved passwords.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.