Couldn't Contact Sync Servers (Windows 10)

Description of the issue:

First started using Brave on Mac OS X (latest version), works fine. Installed on iPhone, works fine and syncs to the Mac no issues. I just installed on my Windows 10 laptop and use the iPhone to generate the sync code (in my case its 24 seemingly random words). I go to brave://sync and enter the code (I tried copy/paste and typing in) and I get the error “Couldn’t contact sync servers”. Both iPhone and Windows laptop on same wireless network and internet working fine.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Tried same scenario multiple times.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Window promt

Expected result:
Sync across devices
Reproduces how often:
Every Time

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 10 pro version 1803 17134.706, Brave version
Version 0.63.55 Chromium: 74.0.3729.131 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Additional Information:
I will try this on Ubuntu & report back… thanks for your help.

@SteveS1W Thanks for reaching out. Just tried to reproduce the issue from my end, I’m able to sync Windows 10 x64 with iPhone 8 without any issues. Could you please recheck? steps which i have followed are listed below:

1. Start sync chain on iPhone
  2. Navigate to Settings and tap on Sync (beta)
  3. Click on Start a new sync chain option in Sync (beta) screen
  4. Select Computer option from choose Devices Type screen
  5. Sync code screen displayed, entered the sync code in Sync Code box in Windows
  6. Click on Confirm Sync Code button

Actual: Sync established between windows and iphone.

Brave versions used on both devices are as below:

1. 0.63.55 - Windows
  2. 1.9.1 - iPhone 8

Please revert back with steps, if you are able to reproduce the issue consistently.

Thanks!

Hey! Thanks for quick response… I just tried syncing with Ubuntu & it worked straight away first time & only took about 20 seconds to pull in all my info & bookmarks etc.

I’ll boot back into Windows & try again… many thanks!

1 Like

OK so, booted back into Windows 10, did the exact same sequence and still the same issue, No problems with connectivity here. Perhaps I should include a log somehow?

@SteveS1W Thanks for the confirmation. Could you paste the console logs here, please?

Thanks!

Solved! OK so after looking into another thread it seemed like the issue might be down to the time on the machine, so after some trial and error, I ended up having to unset windows time and the resetting it again… synced after that! Hopefully this will help someone else in the same situation!

Many thanks!

1 Like

@SteveS1W Yup, that’s correct if time is set to past or future date in a device, sync chain will not be established. Thanks for checking and reconfirming.

Thanks!