Constant Updates

Constant updates seem to be needed every 2-3 days, forcing me to close the browser (and all tabs) and restart - only to find my wallet needs logging in / re-syncing (and is weirdly blocked at the moment due to a verification issue, even though I’ve already done this).

It’s small things like this which are putting me off using Brave.

Simply block updates?

How? Not sure it’s clear how to do this.

Are you speaking about Brave updates?
What OS are you using? This is weird. My updates run silently without the need to restart or reconnect the wallet.
I find it weird as there are no updates every 3 days.

Yes, I am. I’m using a Macbook Pro 2011 on Montery (12.3.1). The updates require a full browser restart every time, and they are extremely frequent - it’s just a bit of a pain having to close everything each time.

The wallet disconnect seems to happen on restart, but for some reason my Rewards profile was flagged (even though I’ve been using it for over a year now, and rarely even go in to look at my wallet most of the time). I posted about that separately, but it’s all pretty strange and seems to have happened more in recent months.

That shouldn’t be the case, as Brave doesn’t do updates that frequently. Which type of device are you using and where did you download from?

EDIT Just scrolled more and saw where you responded to mention Monterey and all. But it shouldn’t be doing updates that often. So definitely has me curious where you got your browser and what version of Brave you’re using.

Yeah, this will happen. It’s a security thing from Uphold/Gemini. So you know, your wallet stays Verified but it does stop you from seeing your balance with them from the Rewards menu. I forget what it is, but something like every 90 days I think that you’ll get logged out from Uphold in the browser…can be less if you’re clearing cookies and all.

I’d be curious exactly what you’re seeing and which device in order to know what’s going on.

So definitely has me curious where you got your browser

From the Brave website for MacOS over a year ago, I didn’t realise you could download it elsewhere actually.

It’s a security thing from Uphold/Gemini.

That’s good to know, thanks Saoiray - seems like a mild inconvenience, but nevermind.

I’d be curious exactly what you’re seeing and which device in order to know what’s going on.

I’m using 1.38.119 at the moment, although haven’t updated this just yet. I’ve also added a screengrab of the verification issue I’m experiencing, although from what I gather this seems to have happened to several other users too:

Yeah, people get flagged for a variety of reasons. Sometimes accidental and other times not. When you speak of your browser updating as much as it did, that’s quite unusual and is a bit of a warning flag in my mind. Though I’m more familiar with Brave on Android, Windows, and now am figuring things on iOS since I got my iPhone 13 Pro Max this year. Still haven’t ever touched MacOS myself.

I would suggest you create a Support Ticket if you haven’t done so already. In order to do that, they have people complete the form at https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360001302431

That will have them look into things in regards to you being flagged. No promises on action but I know they’ll try to peak at things when they can.

As to the browser updating and all, I’m going to tag @Mattches over here and hope he might have more ideas as to what’s going on. Either I’ll learn MacOS does a lot more updates or he’ll hopefully be able to narrow down the issue and help you resolve it.

Yeah, people get flagged for a variety of reasons. Sometimes accidental and other times not. When you speak of your browser updating as much as it did, that’s quite unusual and is a bit of a warning flag in my mind.

I figured as much - the only thing which comes to mind is that I converted and withdrew some BAT from my Uphold account which had built up a while back, but I can’t see how that would have anything to do with this. Most of the time I’m just browsing sites like Reddit and YouTube, so it was puzzling to find I’d been flagged for something I barely look at too often (Brave Rewards).

With the update notifications which appear like the below, I just assumed every user was being prompted to update at the same time rather than different times for different users/devices.

Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 23.04.38

I would suggest you create a Support Ticket if you haven’t done so already.

Got it, sounds good - will do!

As to the browser updating and all, I’m going to tag @Mattches over here and hope he might have more ideas as to what’s going on.

Thank you for your help looking into this Saoiray, much appreciated. I’m going to update the browser later tonight and make a note this time when I’m next prompted (incl. versions) which will help provide more context going forwards.

Thanks!

Another prompt for an update today, again. No browser should have to close and restart this many times.

They’ve had some issues lately. For example, Infinity load in random pages ( ⇦ Slow loading or No loading)

Or the related Github at https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/23267

1 Like

Thanks Saoiray. Another update today, just over a week since the last one. It’s a slight concern they are having so many issues.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.