Can't turn on password sync

when I want to turn on syncing passwords, it says that I have to type my pin or biometrical stuff. when I enter my pin, it still doesnt let me turning on password syncing. I tried custom syncing, turning it on manually, and also tried to set it up with syncing everything. it’s always the same: asks my pin, I enter, and it’s not turned on/cant be turned on. I also tried creating a new sync chain, it still has the same issue
Brave: Latest beta

7 Likes

I have the same issue with Brave lightly on Android 14. What’s odd is I get suggestions on usernames/email for the login, but not the password. That means it’s halfway synced.

4 Likes

I’m having the same problem. I’ve left and rejoined the sync chain to no avail.

3 Likes

I just removed myself from the sync chain and tried to create a new one on my Android. The new sync chain still does not let me enable password syncing. It still says, “Before you can sync passwords, you’ll need to authenticate with your device biometrics/passcode. This extra security measure helps keep your passwords safe.” Seems like a critical bug with a couple versions. I can’t verify what version I was on 10 minutes ago when I noticed this, but I updated to version 1.68.133 and am still experiencing this.
Android 14

4 Likes

@d93ee441f9c366040f6a @Vevhus @mojhale, let’s clarify something that hasn’t been mentioned yet by two of you:

• Does your device have a pin or password?

For example, if someone picked up your phone, would they need a code to access it, or is it just a swipe to unlock with no code? If it’s the latter, that might be the issue.

2 Likes

PIN and biometric. Here’s the sequence of events.

4 Likes

Apparently the biometric screen doesn’t show in screen shots… Image 2 is fingerprint challenge.

Thanks for confirming that. I see there is an open Github for this, which I’ll link below. But let me also tag in @Mattches and possibly @Serg to see if they might be able to get eyes on it or perhaps share what might be happening.

2 Likes

I’ve added it to a different roadmap to discuss and prioritise.

3 Likes

the first one. they would need a code and Brave asks for the same code

1 Like

Having this issue also. The slider refused to activate even after inputting biometric credentials

1 Like

I have the same issue. Scanning fingerprint, then something happens, then the red message about authentication goes away and I still cannot toggle the password sync.

1 Like

Brave not syncing psswords.com-video-to-gif-converter

Adding to the experiences, I’ve also tried (besides bio) using PIN as you may select it in the fingerprint popup window, to no avail.

both Nightly and Beta editions don’t have this issue.

2 Likes

If this help, I had the same issue, uninstalling the app and reinstalling it solved it.

(This may not be a good solution for everyone however)

3 Likes

Same issue here.
And in the password section only I want to add that there is no suggest password button when trying to create new account as it was there earlier.

1 Like

Adding that I too have this problem. However, at least I still have my previous passwords saved from an earlier sync. It must have broken recently.

2 Likes

Thank you for pointing out the Nightly and Beta versions, @GParca! That works for me.

2 Likes

I have the same issue

I am also having this issue

You saved me. Thanks!

1. Issue an sync code.
  2. Uninstall Brave.
  3. Reinstall Brave.
  4. Sync with the sync code.
  5. (Remove my sync chains of other devices.)
  6. Turn on password sync.

After that, I re-synced Brave on my laptop. That worked.