Can't turn on password sync

I have the same problem. Bookmarks are synchronized, but no passwords. I can’t switch on password sychronization on smartphone and tablet, but on my laptop.
Unfortunately it doesn’t really synchronize it.

I have/had the same problem.
from Tyrnis and yunics_highfield messages, I solved it.

Problem is you loosing password on your phone if you uninstall app. And if you want sync it, you have probably password to sync.
I’ve see that sync bookmarks is blocked too.

So
1 Export password (and bookmarks) before.
2 No Necessary to uninstall but, “just” clear cache and all data

You can export in mobile app, but you can’t import. I think it’s not very smart. If you can export, you should can import.
So you must import with PC install (share the file of your export… bad idea, no ?)

3 You can after turn on password sync (after biometric/pin).
I create a new sync account but I think it’s not necessary. It’s just the mobile cache and data you must clear.

Sorry for my bad english…

This solved the issue for a whlie, but again after 2 days when I check it again, it came back to same problem situation!!

Same here.
I was forced to change password from work and now I can’t use anything as it won’t sync.
Now i have to walk away from the sofa, turn on the computer, read the password there, re input it on the phone.

And all for this new dumb feature of having screen lock if i want to sync password.

It’s my data, i am a grown up with MFA where I need it, stop babysitting I don’t want to have a useless screen lock on my phone.

Listen to users, not to engineers.

2 Likes

@D21, as long as it’s data on your device, you have full control over it. The issue arises when you sync data, as it’s then stored on their servers. At that point, it’s not just your data anymore. Brave doesn’t want to have access to your passwords, and they want to ensure that no one who might try to hack in can see them either. That’s why they use encryption. This encryption uses your OS password (screen lock) as the key to decrypt everything and access the info.

There are password management apps and all to use that might make things more convenient if you don’t like it.

Use another way to encrypt (ask me a passphrase to encrypt? Use an Authenticator app?) and don’t force users into a behavioural change in how to use their device.

I love Brave and your goodwill, but users come before technology, which is a tool in service of humans, not a purpose in itself.

Passphrases can be vulnerable, especially if they’re not strong or unique. Google and many password managers have faced security breaches, and since people often reuse passwords across accounts, once something gets leaked, it can compromise multiple accounts.

@D21, as you mentioned, Brave aims to serve its users, but it’s designed to prioritize security in ways that may not suit everyone’s preferences. While the current design meets the needs of most users, it’s understandable that it may not be ideal for everyone. You have the option to use other tools alongside the browser to meet your specific needs.

Brave is always considering feedback and exploring other options, but this particular approach is not likely to change in the near future.

I respect your opinion but I believe you’re very wrong.

Also assuming that Brave team can have more skill of the German-American Google team behind password manager and google auth, it’s a bit worrying.

Given the whole reason of existence of Brave is to simplify browsing experience to user and - hopefully - protect data I am pretty sure what you are saying is not aligned with Brave vision.

Also forcing to give biometric data to American or Chinese companies, to use your sync, doesn’t seem very caring of users.

Anyway please fix the bug and I’ll patiently wait for the backslash to reuse sync again.

Have a nice day.

p.s. as you know I am not the only one complaining about this “feature”, in the forum.

I have the same problem everything can be syncronised except passwords.
Please fix this bug.

Same here… It’s pretty annoying. Please fix it ! thank you

1 Like

Friend, please be mindfull this is community not customer service. Have a good one

It recently happened to me on an Android 11 phone and an Android 13 tablet. I deleted all data and re-synced and then I was able to sync passwords again. Looks like a recent update broke something.

Still not fixed, early September 2024. Any word on if this is being worked on by the Brave team?

1 Like

####Same problem here.

• Android 14
1 Like

Same problem here.
Additional info: I’m using the original Chinese ROM on an Android phone bought in China. I’m using the phone in China through VPN.

1 Like

same probleme for me is any one found a tric !!!

1 Like

Hi ! I’ve got the exact same problem here :wink:

It is a new crappy feature, where all the passwords will be storaged within Google Mobile Services in Android devices.

Same problem here !
With OP8 and Android 13