Can't remove sites in Settings → Sites that can always use cookies

Description of the issue:
In Settings → Sites that can always use cookies or brave://settings/cookies, when I try to remove one of the sites listed in there, either by the ‘remove’ menu item or the trash can button, it doesn’t get removed. The UI gives no notification on why the site can’t be removed.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Go to Settings → Privacy and security → Cookies and other site data → Sites that can always use cookies or brave://settings/cookies.
  2. Try to removing one of the sites listed under ‘Sites that can always use cookies’, either by the ‘remove’ menu item or the trash can button. Notice that it doesn’t get removed. The UI gives no notification on why the site can’t be removed.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Animated GIF screen capture of the settings UI when trying to remove sites:

Expected result:

That the sites be removed once I click on ‘remove’ or the trash icon. If it can’t be removed, at least give me a notification why, and instructions on how to allow removal.

Also, I didn’t add those sites in there. I expect no sites to be automatically added under ‘Sites that can always use cookies’ unless I manually put them in there.

Reproduces how often:

100%. Happens for all the sites that I didn’t manually set under ‘Sites that can always use cookies’ and even after multiple attempts to remove.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Windows 7, Brave Version 1.16.72 Chromium: 86.0.4240.183 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
I have Brave shields enabled, but all settings are disabled or set to ‘allow’. The only Brave shield settings that I’ve enabled blocking are: Cookie blocking (cross-site / third-party cookies blocked) and Fingerprinting blocking (standard).

I’ve tried disabling Brave shields, reenabling Brave shields, removing all cookies for the sites (lock icon → cookies → remove each cookie), going to each of the site’s site settings (lock icon) → clear data & reset permissions, but the issue persists.

3 Likes

Same here!!! On multiple types of devices. Good description, please fix!

1 Like

I had the same problem, but found a workaround, if not an actual solution.
In your Brave browser, open one of the sites you see in the list of “Sites that can always use cookies”. Click on the Brave Shields Settings icon in the address bar. Change the settings for Cookies to “Cookies Blocked”. You should then find that the site in question is removed from the list of sites that can always use cookies.

Well it worked for me anyway!

Thank you. This worked on some sites for me but not on all. This is an annoying bug which I reported a year ago!