Can't load ESPN live streams

I’m unable to load/view live streams from ESPN. Running Brave Version 1.46.144 Chromium: 108.0.5359.128 (Official Build) (x86_64). I do not have Shields up for ESPN. Following the same procedure in Chrome works. Any ideas? Thanks!

To be honest, kind of hard to have ideas. You did at least provide version number and a very brief description in that steams aren’t working, but didn’t mention any error messages or anything.

So, what happens when you try to load them?

Also, will they work in Private Window or Guest Window by chance?

Here’s the error message. Private Window didn’t work either.

Darn, ok. Was doing that just to try to rule out extensions. Was hoping one of them might be interfering.

And you said even Shields off, it’s not working.

I doubt it will make a difference, but can you check if Widevine is enabled? It’s a toggle under brave://settings/extensions

Overall though, that particular notice tends to be when there’s an issue on their end. So it’s a bit weird to hear it’s working on Chrome. Only other thing I’m wondering is if you might clear cookies? Though you can test this without doing it by going to hamburger menu and Create a new profile.

Widevine is off. Trying a new profile right now and will report back.

New profile produced the same error, but said ESPN wanted Widevine installed?

@GlenCove Yeah, sorry. I should have phrased it better. I meant to say it as in make sure you have it turned on. That’s where but can you check if Widevine is enabled came to play.

If you’re not familiar with Widevine, it’s DRM (Digital Rights Management) for copyrighted materials. Many places like Netflix and all won’t let videos load unless it’s turned on. If that is the issue, usually would specifically tell you. But figured I’d mention it just in case.

If you always had Widevine off, you’ll want to make sure to try with it on. If you had it on prior and it wasn’t working, then I’m kind of running out of ideas. Would say could be cookies or DNS.

What I am going to do is move this over to #support-and-troubleshooting:web-compatibility and then also going to see if @fanboynz might know why it would work on Chrome but not on Brave.

1 Like

Thanks @Saoiray… enabling Widevine fixed it for me, much appreciated!

1 Like

Oh good. I feel bad for tagging Fanboynz then. But glad you got it resolved.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.