Cannot login to Wells Fargo online banking w/o disabling shields

Starting today, 4/5/23, I am unable to login to Wells Fargo online banking without turning off shields. This was working fine w/ shields last week.

I tried:

1. clearing all cache, disabling all extensions, shutting down browser, restarting system and then reattempting login multiple times. Login still said that my Userid and PW didn’t match Wells Fargo’s records.

2. WF tech support said they don’t support Brave and had me try with Firefox, which worked.

3. I saw an old post here, albeit for a mobile app, suggesting turning off shields.

4. I cleared browser cache again, re-enabled all of my extensions, re-attempted WF login … still failed. I then only turned off shields, re-attempted WF login and it worked.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Brave is up to date

Version 1.49.132 Chromium: 111.0.5563.147 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Extensions used: AdBlock, Adobe PDF, Bitwarden, Disable HTML autoplay, Google translate, Malwarebytes Browserguard

Disabling/Enabling of extensions had no effect.

Windows 10; Up to date as of 12:35 pm today.

@Sherrb I just logged into Wells Fargo on my Windows 11 with no issue. Shields are on. In fact, Shields settings as follows:

Hate to break it to you, but an update was released shortly after you posted this. I’m assuming you’ve auto updated since, but if not, make sure to try to get it to the current version, which is 1.50.114

Try creating a new browser profile without adding the extensions to it. See if you notice a difference. If it works, might need to uninstall the extensions instead of just disable. Sometimes extensions can somehow still interfere even when disabled. I don’t quite understand they why/how, but know it’s resolved problems for people before.

Thanks for the feedback, Saolray.

So, I just checked my Brave version and it did in fact auto-update to

Brave is up to date

Version 1.50.114 Chromium: 112.0.5615.49 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I exited Brave with my normal settings to clean cache at exit, opened Brave again and I then tried logging into Wells Fargo without disabling shields, (same default shields settings as yours, Saolray).

I was able to successfully login to WF.

I did nothing else, no disabling or re-installing of my extensions,

It appears that the update that came out after my posting fixed the issue, as I made no other changes … or, there may have been something fixed on the WF side.

I may never know, but I have a better idea of what things to try if it happens again.

I appreciate the kind assistance!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.