Can Uphold inappropriately keep my BATs? Brave 1.48 transition was a nightmare

Edit:
A quick update on this. I contacted tech support via email and they responded and opened a ticket for my issue. After about a week on the Uphold app a request appeared for me to rescan my face. The next day they sent an email informing me that the review had been satisfactorily completed, so for now I can connect Brave to Uphold from the phone and from my Linux machine.

Hello I am from Argentina.
I use Brave on my Linux machine and my Android phone. From the beginning I was using Gemini service to receive my BATs in Linux machine. Gemini was working for me until just before the last Brave update a few days ago. On the Android phone I was not using any custody wallet services because when I started using Brave, Gemini was not available for Android, and I had read bad comments about uphold. With the last update Brave from Linux informed me that Gemini was not available for my region, so I successfully opened an account in Uphold (for this they required personal information, ID photo and phone number). Then I connected Uphold with Brave from both, the Linux machine and from an Android phone. Uphold took my BATs from the phone (I guess it didn’t take BATs from the Linux Machine because they were previously on Gemini). So BATs show up there when I log into the Uphold account.
But then the problems started appearing on Barve from Android. I was having this problem of a possible bug in Android:

And now a few minutes ago the Uphold service informs me that my account became limited in functionality because they put the account under review. I have searched for similar problems and I have found this message from another user from Argentina:

So I have low expectations. My question is, if Uphold decides to close my account, will they keep my BATs and I can never get them back?

I used Uphold and didn’t face any problems with them. Though it differs from people to people. For me I’ll trust Uphold over Gemini actually since there’s been news that Gemini might go bankrupt.

Also as far as your Linux Update didn’t wipe Brave’s data and you had to reset Brave rewards, you might be able to still reconnect to Gemini

2 Likes

If able to respond, I’d reach out to see if there’s anything you need to provide that can help with the process. I wouldn’t argue and complain about it being under review, just say you see it’s under review and wondering if there’s anything you could send them that might expedite the process, as you’re hoping to clear up any concerns and have full access to your account. (Then actually send anything they ask of you). If can’t respond to that notice, then you can always email them at support@uphold.com or use a support ticket at https://support.uphold.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

That depends on their purpose. Usually they’ll let you get back any funds in your account. The only time that they don’t let you is if they believe you obtained those funds through deceit. This not only means getting them through illegal means, but it can also mean that you falsified information to them when you created your account.

Assuming nothing been done wrong and you’re open with them, should have pretty good success. Depending on what they’re looking at on your account, it doesn’t mean you’re guaranteed to have it fully in service (such as if they are just concerned about Argentina in general, about if you’re a financial risk, etc). But by saying good success, should mean you’d keep all your funds and at least increase your chances of things going well.

Hi, thanks to both of you for answering my question.

I did not receive any specific communication as to why my account is under review. The only email I received was about a recommendation to enable 2-factor authentication. So I just enabled 2-factor authentication. I’m going to see if this makes my account pass the review, otherwise I’m going to try to contact technical support.
I’ll keep the thread updated as to what happens.
Thank you.

1 Like

this is one of the reason why everyone is calling out uphold, mine has been under review for a long while, and they’re not giving any reason why it is, they just keep saying based on their investigation its going to remain closed. what is baffling is that i only used uphold to receive BAT. now i can’t withdraw

1 Like

People get at every single bank and exchange. For example, many have said Binance would be better. But guess what?

Also topic below:
https://www.reddit.com/r/binance/comments/1017bw9/binance_account_deactivation_notice/

What about Coinbase?

It literally doesn’t matter which company you look up. They all do the same thing.

lol :joy: :joy: i understand, i happen to be among the ones having uphold problems, u would agree its a bit frustrating though. if its possible to fix all these issues with users fine, but if not :thinking:

1 Like

Hi.
A quick update on this. I contacted tech support via email and they responded and opened a ticket for my issue. After about a week on the Uphold app a request appeared for me to rescan my face. The next day they sent an email informing me that the review had been satisfactorily completed, so for now I can connect Brave to Uphold from the phone and from my Linux machine.

1 Like

@Raf_f I’m glad to hear you were able to contact them as I mentioned and they were able to help you.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.