PSA: Android Rewards Bug being worked on

Not sure how many people are impacted, but know in the past couple days, there have been a few who have written in to talk of how no ads are being shown on their Android. I was able to replicate this myself and have reported it to the Rewards team and Support. They are busy looking over logs and trying to determine the overall cause and solution.

Just wanted to advise that if you’re on Android, it’s possible that you’ll not be seeing ads for Rewards at this time until they can get it resolved. It is a known issue and one that I’m hoping they can get fixed soon.

This seems to be impacting those who updated Brave to 1.48 or higher. If all goes well, should be resolved by the end of today, but we shall see. For those impacted, this means you’ll not have seen NTP ads, push notifications, or Brave News inline content.

UPDATE Feb 16, 2023.

Rewards Team believes they might have found the issue and just rolled out a server side mitigation. The hope is this will resolve this issue for those of us experiencing problems. It may take up to 24 hours or so for us to see the impact.

The next step is to do a browser fix. So while they didn’t especially say this, it may mean the server side mitigation that they are doing might just be putting a bandage on things until the bigger fix lands. Hoping it will carry with no issues until then.

14 Likes

whew, thought I was flagged again…again…again.

5 Likes

My two android devices have not recieved ads for some time either. Been about 3-4 days I think. One is flagged however.

3 Likes

Lol. I thought I had been flagged too. Had some others confirm that my profile is in good standing and it’s a bug lol. Almost gave me a heart attack

3 Likes

Btw. @Saoiray as you told me, the ads work in a reset rewards profile / new Rewards profile. I got an ad as soon as I reset my Brave rewards in my Nightly one (low balance vBAT). Hoping that helps narrow down to the issue!

3 Likes

Nah, it doesn’t. Like I told you, I had reset but then it stopped again. They were still looking. Chriscat spoke about it at in Community Call. I’m not going to time stamp it, but go listen to todays call over at https://youtu.be/DG6hDMp91c0

4 Likes

hey @SmartyAadi brave://flag in android enable gemini reward is not working? but in pc its working

1 Like

It won’t work if you were not connected to Gemini on this rewards profile. Or even if you connected to Uphold in mean time. Also it works on mine so don’t see what’s the matter with you.

1 Like

Hello. I am having this problem on my Android phone since last Brave update. This indicates that it is successfully connected to Uphold, but no ads has come in since the last update. Also sometimes (only from time to time) the rewards button on the top right corner stops responding and when I press the button the rewards information menu is not shown, I have to close Brave and reopen it to get it to work again.

1 Like

This part sounds like it might be a different problem. If it persists, I’d suggest you create your own topic on it and/or create a support ticket. Ticket would be a Rewards Support Ticket at https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360001302431

It’s possible yours is the same situation, but if that far out (is that December 2?), I’m going to assume your account might be flagged. Either that or your settings changes to not allow notifications. If you haven’t done so already, I’d submit a Rewards Support Ticket at https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360001302431. Also once done, maybe create a topic advising of OS, version of Brave, last ad seen, and your ticket number. Then just would keep an eye out on your email as would likely be where they’d follow up in terms of your ticket.

1 Like

I am assuming the 12/02 is just a euro way of saying feb 12th.

1 Like

Ah, that could be true. Can you clarify that for me @batt?

1 Like

Lmao. I was thinking why @Saoiray was advising to file a ticket when the person got an ad just like 2 days ago lol. Thanks for pointing out

1 Like

I have not seen ads since last update on Android. Opened ticket and got response email early yesterday but no update. Has the issue been resolved as I have not seen ads yet on my android. Should I reset something to see if a fix is out? Any updates from people who had or have the ad issue on Android?
Thanks

1 Like

Not fixed yet. In call yesterday they said seemed like a small issue overall, but they definitely were investigating. Waiting to hear back from @szilardszaloki and @chriscat as they know more. But just like you, I’m also still not getting ads on Android. Had tried resetting Rewards once but it ended up in the same situation.

What they did say is that there’s something like a CAPTCHA that gets solved on the back end, without User input. What they were seeing from logs is a failed CAPTCHA. They had me test for SafetyNet and it passed. They were investigating to see if maybe there’s a small subset of SafetyNet that’s failing even though the overall passed.

I’m uncertain when will have any further updates. And I didn’t get a Github from them on the issue, if they had one to track.

They asked me to check Safetynet. Passed also. Making sure it has not been forgotten about. At first my uphold wasn’t showing up but did after restart of phone. Didn’t want to reinstall app, scared of losing what bat is there already. Everything else seems ok. Just no ads.

Hope it gets sorted out.

1 Like

Hi, can you please give me a clue on how this site works if you don’t mind

1 Like

Please create a new topic and I’ll happily help you. Let this topic only discuss the bug, I guess.

2 Likes

UPDATE

Rewards Team believes they might have found the issue and just rolled out a server side mitigation. The hope is this will resolve this issue for those of us experiencing problems. It may take up to 24 hours or so for us to see the impact.

The next step is to do a browser fix. So while they didn’t especially say this, it may mean the server side mitigation that they are doing might just be putting a bandage on things until the bigger fix lands. Hoping it will carry with no issues until then.

1 Like

thx for the update, and happy cakeday

edit: notification ad and news and ntp ads received on phone and tablet.