Can there be an option to allow JavaScript automatically without us having to manually do it everytime?

The feature request is pretty straightforward.
With almost all websites requiring the use of JavaScript to run properly, Having the feature to allow it to run without asking first would be very convenient.

Another reason that one could argue that it be added is that one of Brave’s biggest selling points is faster load times due to not loading a bunch of useless stuff, However I find that when comparing to using chrome, I spend more time manually allowing JS on each new website I visit or new page that I visit, then having to reload the page to see it work properly when using the Brave browser. I do not run into this problem on chrome because there is an option to always allow JS

1 Like

@Andyman115

Did you have script blocker enabled globally (under brave://settings/?search=shields) ?
If you have this settings enabled globally, then Brave will block scripts on any websites you visit.

You also can allow/block scripts per site via Brave icon at URL bar.

@eljuno I have all scripts blocked, but what I am referring to is under advanced settings Then under Site settings, Then scroll down to Java-script, The only setting options are Completely blocked, or sites must ask permission to run JS.
Thats what I am suggesting is a way to globally block all scripts, but then be able to pick and choose which scripts you want to globally enable and not block (such as JS)
Currently from what I am aware, The only way to globally enable a specific script is to globally enable them all correct?

however if there is feature that allows global script blocks, whilst allowing me to globally allow specific scripts I am unaware of that feature.

2 Likes

Hello,

Please, tell us (and me), what to do, by default Javascript were allowed (and not “globally off” like in browser-settings, which cannot be changed.)

Very uncomfortable, for me in particular, every time to add sites to ‘allowed’.

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

It is very strange and unclear, why you repeatedly ignore questions about java scripts are allowed by default.

1 Like

@Andyman115 @efi99,
I think there’s a misunderstanding of how Shields operate in Brave:
Shields Defaults:
Settings --> Shields --> Defaults
Changing these changes the protection setting on a GLOBAL level. For example – if you set Shields Default to Block all scripts, every website you visit will start off with scripts blocked. Please note that these settings will always override the ones in Settings --> Advanced --> Privacy/Security --> Site Settings.

Site Specific Shields:
As their name implies, these settings are applied on a per-site basis. They will be remembered and they will also override the default settings. For example, if you set brave.com for the first time with scripts = blocked in Shields defaults, you’ll see the page display like so:

Changing the Shields settings for Twitter on the “Per-site” level will render the site as intended:

(Side note: my screenrecording app seems a little off – mouse cursor appears to the right of the object actually clicked on. Please ignore :slight_smile: )

So, to answer the actual question of

“Can there be an option to allow JavaScript automatically without us having to manually do it every time?”

Yes, absolutely – there already is. Set your Shields Defaults to allow JS and it will be allowed on every site you visit. If you’d like to allow JS for a specific site, use the Shields panel to change JS settings for the site in focus.

I’d highly recommending reading through our Shields docs for a better understanding of how they work and how to leverage them when browsing the web:

1 Like

I’m sorry, but even though your explanations here are very clear, I continue to have sites ask me to enable JavaScript. Previous to this thread, I’ve read dozens of threads on this subject. I understand EXACTLY what you are asking me to do with the settings. IT DOES NOT WORK FOR ME.

I really LOVE Brave, but this issue is too frustrating–constantly copying and pasting URLs from Brave into Safari (on my Mac). I’m sad to say that I need to go back to either energy sucking Chome or featureless Safari.

1 Like

@slobizman,
Can you give me an example site wherein you see Javascript blocked even though your settings are accurate and isn’t explained by my previous post?

Will do. I’ll start to remember to save the URLs. Can’t remember specific sites so I have to wait for them to happen again. They seem to come in clusters, I guess it depends on what types of things I’m browsing for that day.

(FYI: the other reason I have a problem using Brave is that with Brave, Youtube gives me ads that run minutes vs 15 seconds. With Shields Down it still knows it’s Brave and does that. Have to wtch all Youtube videos on Safari.)

1 Like

@slobizman,
We have an open issue to address the Youtube ads you can track here:

1 Like

Here is the matter…On Brave Desktop Browser the Privacy and Security > Site and Shield Settings > Content Section > “Java Script” is by default is ‘blocked’ and the way it works is only to allow each site everytime you browse it. There is “no option” to allow it by tweaking.(which is much needed)
But, when you see the same settings as above in your Brave Mobile platform app for Andriod at least, it is provided with the toggle/tweak option to set it to either ‘blocked’ or “Allows sites to run Java Script(recommended)”.
We have no problem in accessing ay site on my mobile but when it comes to Desktop app, this sucks because everytime it blocks the site. This is so annoying that you have to allow multiple URLs(Identity and Authorization related) sometimes which you can’t even notice while you browse a site normally because they are more likely a re-directing URLs in the chain propegation of executing the next click. Practically from user experience perspective it is an annoying factor to move away from the browser usage. Probably our normal usage doen’t require to manage such a huge task on every click.
Besides, certain users have exit settings of clearing the cache and with this enabled for everything but Passwords, makes it a toughest task to ask the end user to allow each site in perticular.
This also impacts the way the application sync works and also the browser behavior in each type of device. What we expect here is a seamless actions across devices which with the current global settings, it can’t address the issue.