Shields vs JavaScript

Just starting about 4 days ago, on almost every site I attempt to go to/interact with, I get “stuck” and can’t advance with Shields Up. I have to disable the shield and a step later I have to disable a new shield.
I made no changes in my settings. Computers aren’t my strong suit, but am wondering why
Brave wouldn’t be set up to have Java Script “globally enabled” and the user could block J.S. on an individual basis, rather than the other way around. Without having Shields active, seems like Brave is just like so many other browsers.

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. can’t navigate sites with shields up

**Expected result:**I’d like to go into any site and have the protection offered by Shields

**Brave Version( check About Brave):**1.21.74 89.0.4389.72

Additional Information:

Hello @KeepitSimple

the default is that js allowed

so go to brave://settings/shields and make sure Block scripts is disabled

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

**Expected result:**I’d like to go into any site and have the protection offered by Shields.

That isnt a compatible mindset. You can have all the functionality in the world and travel around the internet care free, but it will be at the expense of privacy and security. If privacy and security is a concern of yours, then sacrifices in functionality will have to be made.

Without having Shields active, seems like Brave is just like so many other browsers.

Not in my opinion, because Brave allows users to adjust their shield settings on each site, on an individual basis. This is a far better approach because if you are unfortunate enough to use certain websites that are particularly invasive privacy wise, that rely on an invasion of privacy to function, that you simply have to use. You can simply adjust your shield settings accordingly on that website and it should function like any other browser. But crucially, this weakening of privacy and security is not global, you will still benefit from the strengths of Brave while visiting other websites. Brave is not in the business of giving users a browser that is set up with global settings reminiscent of Chrome which violate user privacy. However they do give functionality for users to adjust settings to fit their needs.

For example; on text based websites (news websites) I can disable scripts and it will resolve a lot of privacy issues whilst retaining functionality i.e the text so I can read it. The flip side is, some websites will not function with scripts disabled, so I adjust my shields to find a balance between privacy, security and functionality.

Global settings can be found here brave://settings/shields

Advance settings can be found here brave://settings/privacy

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.